EAGP 351 A short but important lesson

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Cherryhill, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

We must learn to distinguish among Rarity and Value and Cost.

Rarity has to do with Availability.

Cost has to do with how much someone thinks it’s worth.

Value has to do with how much someone will pay you for it.

Pattern in question: Adams No. 120.

This pattern was introduced in 1884 by Adams & Co., one of the leaders in the field. Judging from the number of pieces found, it was judged by the buyers at the time as being unsaleable and discontinued after the first run of production was made. In literature it isn’t published until 1989 when Jane Spilman wrote about a series of Adams patterns including Actress (Opera OMN) and illustrated the top (only) of the cake plate of this pattern and attached the number 120 to it. Lee began writing about Pattern Glass in the 1920s, and since then there have been a considerable number of books published, all without this pattern. Because it wasn’t published, whenever a dealer had a piece for sale, (and couldn’t ID it,) it’s either been put aside or sold cheaply. I suspect most of us have never seen a piece of it.

I’m aware that the cake stand is now findable on the internet with the name Two Panel Oval, or something like that. That may refer to the cake stand top, but only the cake stand, no other piece exhibits that characteristic.

I’m proposing we call it Adams 120, it’s original name, and forget about describing it.

Here’s the top of the cake stand, Yes there are two overlapping ovals and a circle about which the cake cover (if there was a specific one) would fit. The pattern of diamonds is found in the bottom of pieces that have bottoms, sugar, spoon, cream, etc.
    Cake plate sm.jpg

The bottom of the cake stand is just like the other pieces in the pattern it’s more rectangular/oval than round. There is a central heavy rounded rib, flanked by two smaller ribs. That’s the common design of the pattern.
    Butter sm.jpg Cake plate sm.jpg Cake plate foot sm.jpg Butter sm.jpg
    The butter dish shows the same central rib and side ribs, and the same feet as the cake stand. Please note the really modern finial, the webs between the ‘shoulders’ are glass, just thick enough to support the shoulders.

As rare as this pattern is, is should be highly collectible/costly, but it isn’t, probably never will be. It’s too modern for 19th century glass.

Edit I didn't mix the pictures up, the computer did it all by itself.

Tom

antidiem, pearlsnblume, judy and 6 others like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it's an attractive pattern.

Neither age nor availability can be counted on as indicators of value, but hope springs eternal that this time...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They're such clever little things, aren't they.;)

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted