EAPG Amber Cruet (pretty sure) - Pattern/Manufacturer Help?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by justjeff, Nov 28, 2017.

1. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

"Field Guide to Pattern Glass" isn't showing this pattern. Best I can tell it's a combination of "daisy" and "pillow" as the squares are rounded outward. It's about 7" tall. Anyone recognize it? Not the best picture of the bottom. I can take another if requested. Thanks!

Jeff

20171128_230023_rsz.jpg 20171128_230057_rsz.jpg

Barn Owl likes this.
  2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

3. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

That's definitely it! Apparently the original stopper was lost or broken on my piece. Oh well. Thanks Barn Owl!

Edit: On second look, the heights aren't matching up. Is that a sign of a repro or maybe there's another very similar piece out there from another company? Now that I have a pattern name I'll do some more hunting. Thanks again!

judy and Barn Owl like this.
  4. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

That Ruby Lane id bothers me. It may be Bellaire but I can not confirm. This is all pressed upside down with the bottom closed by the cut shut technique no pontile rod was used. still looking.

judy likes this.
  5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Yup, Bellaire Goblet, Findlay, Ohio, Also of Bellaire, Ohio. Its their No. 373. I have a question as to when/where it was made, just my question.
    The period, 1884-6 was the color era before 1898, though many companies made colors the whole time. Bellaire Goblet was in Bellaire, Ohio until 1888, when it moved to Findlay, lock stock and barrel. Did they make this amber cruet in the color period, 1885, or did they make it in Findlay, after 1888? I don't know.
    I found Log and Star, OMN 373 in Measell's Findlay Glass, pages 51, 52.

judy and justjeff like this.
  6. George Nesmith

7. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Milton is considered a 'companion' pattern that is similar to 'Log & Star'. Milton has the 'star' motif divided into 4 'stars' or x's in the square block, whereas 'Log & Star' has one big 'star' that fills the square.
    some references mention the patterns continued by U.S. Glass

judy and justjeff like this.
  8. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I wish the world would understand that USGlass may have sold old stock until it was exhausted, but they were introducing 12 new patterns every six months, had no time or need to make wares in the old molds. Many patterns did appear in the very first catalogs USGlass put out, but the subsequent catalogs only showed old stock, some colored wares dating from ca. 1885 were still in their 1907 catalog.

justjeff and George Nesmith like this.
  9. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

Well I'm enjoying watching the experts discuss this. It's quite impressive. So are you guys discussing the Ruby Lane piece or mine or both? To George Nesmith... thanks to your comment I understand what a pontil scar is and my piece definitely has one. Does that point the ID in a particular direction?

judy likes this.
  10. George Nesmith

I am referring to your piece but the Ruby Lane is part of the line so both. Cruets are pressed upside down to create a smooth interior and neck opening. Excess glass is left at the bottom when the plunger is removed which is tooled over to close the bottom. Any remaining glass is cutoff sometimes leaving a bump or pig tail. This can be ground off and polished like your cruet. There is no reason to stick this on a pontile rod as it was pressed in one piece. The two marks look very similar and when finished like yours you only can tell the difference by understanding the manufacturing process. These patterns are not mold blown because the interior would have bumps where the glass followed the pattern and be more difficult to clean and also more expensive to produce.

justjeff likes this.
  11. justjeff

justjeff Active Member

Thank you George. I love learning about this stuff!

George Nesmith likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted