EAPG Match Holder

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, May 30, 2014.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I guess this pattern is Daisy and Button. Does anyone know who made it or when? I think it is a wall pocket match holder - live matches in the cup, dead ones in the tray below, and the horizontal lines as a striking surface. It's about 5" top to bottom, approximately 3" side to side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

I'd call it a cane pattern and have seen these listed as by Bryce Bros. there's a crystal one at RL with a number of references

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks for that. Lots of info in that listing (but I think their valuation is rather optimistic).

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am soooo envious. I always wanted that in blue. I had one in canary/vaseline but it was chipped in a lot of places.
    greg

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Yes, I've seen it in yellow as well. I much prefer the blue - my favorite color (sea & sky)

6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I don't believe that has been identified as to manufacturer.

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The only info I have is from the listing mentioned by TallCakes. That seller says "The maker is identified on p. 302 Victorian Glass, Ruth Webb Lee." Since I'm unfamiliar with that book, I can't comment further.

8. It is in Sanford's "Victorian Glass Novelties' with no attribution. Page 188

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The same dealer description says the same thing. Another book I have no access to. I don't know if Sanford is more reliable than Lee, nor do I know where Lee got her information. If Cherry hill says it's unattributed... that goes a long way to saying it's unattributed, except that this one online dealer says that there is one attribution in one book.

10. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Fascinating! I have Lee's Victorian Glass Handbook and it has no page numbers, only plate numbers! And I finally thought I could help!

11. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

I found it, on a page labeled Victorian Novelties with (See pages 301, 302) beneath that. This is obviously not the right book. Boo.

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks for looking.

13. SKCCOAST

SKCCOAST Active Member

All I can tell you is that is that in Ruth Webb Lee's book, Victorian Glass, she states the following.
    "MATCH SAFE. Under the title of Novelties this piece was made for matches by Bryce Bros. of Pittsburgh, Pa. It may have been a handy wall pocket but it is certainly something of a curiosity."

It is #19 just in case you are wondering. If her attribution was changed or disputed, I do not know.

rlw.jpg

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Well... at least we can see that reference. Thank you for posting.

15. Cherryhill

Lee's page is not a catalog page, there are several different mfgrs represented, for instance No. 16 is usually found in opal (white) made by Challinor, Taylor, and one other mfgr ( I can't remember right now) the next one, No. 17 is also made by Challinor, Taylor. No. 8 was made by Geo. Duncan, No. 12, U. S. Glass Co. All her non-photograph pages are hand drawn, not catalog images.

Lee was probably one of the first authors to write about EAPG, it fact she probably named it that, Early American Pressed Glass was her first title. If she said the match holder in question was made by Bryce Bros., she had reason, but some of her attributions have been found faulty. There is no current knowledge that says that Bryce Bros made that match holder.

SKCCOAST likes this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I, for one, did not assume it was a catalog page, but it was nice of SKCCOAST to illustrate the reference made in that one seller's description.

If her book is an early one, and current knowledge suggests maker unknown, then there must be a reason for doubting her attribution. Perhaps this item has not appeared in any known Bryce Bros. catalog.

17. Cherryhill

The item has not appeared in any known Bryce Bros. catalog, you're right.

18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I haven't decided if I will put Bryce Bros in the title or not (probably will). Either way, I will be circumspect about the attribution in the description.

Draft saved Draft deleted