EAPG - Milk Glass Dresser Box

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Jul 6, 2019.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Buddies! I need some help with this dresser box. It measures 5" long, 3 1/2" at its widest and about 2 1/2" tall. It has a satin finish. I've searched the EAPGS database and my milk glass books (Newbound; Chiarenza & Slater; and Belknap) without success. Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you.
    Don

IMG_20190704_155140316.jpg IMG_20190704_155151788.jpg IMG_20190705_185331985.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Love the paint, but are you sure it's milk glass? It almost looks like an opaline glass vase I have...

(also, I'm a total newbie when it comes to glass, so please disregard this suggestion if it's idiotic.)

3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Opaline is just opaque white glass the same as milk glass.

judy likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Barn Owl - I appreciate any and all responses. I'm not sure what you mean by opaline vs. milk glass. I always rather thought as George stated that the two were interchangeable. If you mean that the glass might have some type of fire to the edges I'm afraid my piece doesn't qualify. I'm not sure what the pink on the bottom is all about.

One of the reasons I enjoy responses is because it does make me reconsider and reinspect the piece in question. In reviewing the bottom again I noticed a mark I hadn't seen before. I can't quite make it out but its under and around the black 60. There are numbers and letters and/or scratched into the base. I can make out what might be a G and an O, a larger number 35 and some other figures. I've put a picture below in case it means something to someone.
    Don

IMG_20190707_110603875.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted