Featured EAPG? or Depression? Cocktail Shaker? Solid Silver Top?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Joe in PA, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Don't deal with this kind of glass very much and was wondering if you could share your insights.

About 5 1/2 inches tall. I think the lid is solid silver though no hallmarks - lid weighs 5 ounces and is very soft and easily deformed- very easily raised a tiny nick and didn't see any copper etc under. Also is non-magnetic. Picked in PA, USA.

Thoughts re:
    1. EAPG glass or Depression era?
    2. Maker?
    3. Function if not cocktail shaker
    4. How to tell if top is solid silver?
    5. Would you polish the silver?

Thanks very much! - Joe

DSC08999.JPG DSC09000.JPG DSC09001.JPG DSC08997.JPG DSC08998.JPG

judy, Bronwen and TallCakes like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The top seems unlikely to be solid silver. You could have the metal tested to be sure.

What makes you think it's solid silver? It certainly does not look like it to me.

3. Joe in PA

How would solid silver "look" different?

The weight, the softness of the metal, the nick showing not any base metal -I expected it to be silver plate but its not like other old silver plate I have around.

Guess I'll need to learn more about the testing.

PS- see a ton of testing kits on Amazon, need to research more.

Thanks! -Joe

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Someone like Bakersgma, when she says it doesn't look like silver, you can take it to the bank. Experience, years of handling silver, that is how she can say it doesn't look like silver.

It's not marked? That is a sign though not all silver is marked. You will have to have it tested to make sure.

5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

EAPG milk jug
    the top is a marriage
    #180 by Co-operative Flint Glass c1890; AKA: Swirl with Fan

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  6. Joe in PA

Always appreciate any help, just wanted to get an idea of what tipped her off. I didn't have any knowledge of her expertise - learning is a big part of asking questions and getting help. I apologize if I offended.

7. Joe in PA

Bronwen and TallCakes like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it were me I'd have figured the top for formerly silver-plated white metal. I'm no glassie so wouldn't have known the rest either.

ola402, judy and Bronwen like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just looking, my guess would be pewter on that pretty little pitcher....maybe creamer??? But have to quit at this point....will check back to see what others still have to say.............

judy likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I agree. It looks like all of the silver plating has worn off and what you're seeing is the base metal. You can try to polish it all day long and the color won't change.

If you want to sell it, IMHO you should sell the glass pitcher and toss the lid because it adds nothing and looks wrong.

Houseful likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Looks pewter to me, too.

Bakersgma likes this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The one Any found was made that way. It also looks newish.

14. Joe in PA

Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking also (re selling it). I also don't want to sell the cover without knowing the metal content (re safety). Its a strange material to me - I've handled/formed a lot of different metals (though not silver and pewter) but this one is VERY soft and pliable with just your fingers. It does seem to polish up quite a bit- I did the underside very lightly and could see a shine coming up. Will try some proper silver polish on it just for the heck of it.

Thanks to everyone for your insights!!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted