Featured EAPG Partial Table Set - Could this be a Solved Mystery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Nov 23, 2018.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I found this partial table set locally (central Ohio) and it is so very sweet, I had to buy it. The best pieces are the spooner and the syrup. The sugar is missing its lid and the bowl . . . well, it's a bowl.

DSCF2683.jpg

In researching it, I couldn't believe that I found the Spooner, Sugar and Syrup over on the EAPGS site and it's called Bohner's Rib (AKA) Maker Unknown and Date Unknown. Several pieces were shown, some ruby stain, others enameled. And one piece had the exact same pattern as the bowl shown in this photo. The little blue flowers are alike on all 4 pieces, but the other pieces (not the bowl) also have a flower on them.

Anyway, I found that the bowl was made by Elson Glass Co. Ca. 1891 and the pattern is called The Hero. Many pieces shown in The Hero pattern had very similar decorations to the Unknown pattern. So wouldn't it makes sense that the Unknown Bohner's Rib pattern would also have been made by Elson? What do you think? You can see photos of both patterns over at EAPGS.

Here are some more photos.
    DSCF2654.jpg

DSCF2658.jpg

2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The glass is the bowl is different from the other pieces. The large plain areas are made for decorating like these. The decoration could have been done in house or by a decorating shop. I to not think there is enough to make a positive id of the glass maker.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

You always find such delicate, beautiful pieces, Ola! :)

4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

George, I thought of that too. Could the pieces have been done by a decorating house who frequently use different blanks from different manufacturers? Or were these decorations done in house? In looking around at examples of Elson Glass, I found some gold and ruby decorations as well as an etch that they supposedly did themselves. So I was just curious.

Here's what I found on EAPGS.

These pieces of Bohner's Rib look like the bowl above in the The Hero pattern.
    http://www.eapgs.org/patterns/full-images.php?idx=25552&pat=802

The first 2 pieces on this page of examples of The Hero have the same enameled pattern as the Bohner's rib items. http://www.eapgs.org/patterns/pattern-details.php?idx=1010

INH - thanks, I like these too. Even if I decide to sell them, I want to keep at least one. I put some paper napkins in the large sugar base, and it makes a good holder.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm usually not that much into glass..but those pieces are REALLY pretty!!!!!!!!!:singing::singing:

6. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

EAPGpatterns has examples of the open sugar and a covered sugar; the covered sugar is a bit more cupped in appearance.

West Virginia also had a very similar pattern #216; so that's another possible maker for Bohner, tho' not attributed as such:

http://www.eapgs.org/patterns/full-images.php?idx=635&pat=153

the bowl is also West Virginia #700 c1893

7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Don, West Virginia used to be Elson Glass Co. They reorganized (I think about 1893 maybe) and changed their name.

8. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

correct, just point that out to indicate WV as possible candidate for the Bohner's Rib tho' evidently no concrete proof.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The decoration on the bowl lacks the two flower stems on the rest of the items. That stylistic flower/blossom is common design. I do not see the bowl being the same as the rest in decoration. Possibly 2 different sources.

10. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

West Virginia Glass did have a pattern No. 216 which had small concave flutes about the bottom, but they were straight, no curve as shown in the above images. I've just searched 115 pages of Elson and West Virginia catalog images, only found the No. 216, no "Bohner's Rib"

11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

12. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

What I meant was that there was no pattern that could have been AKA Bohner's Rib.

Draft saved Draft deleted