EAPG Question - Co-operative Flint Ivy Leaf - Do I Have a Mismatch

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Mar 19, 2015.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone - I have a butter dish that has me a little suspicious. The top doesn't fit all that well and I'm wondering whether I have a butter dish or a honey dish top and a butter dish bottom. I couldn't find enough pictures on my own to make a decision. I thought if anybody would know you folks would. Base measures 6" across at its widest and top measures 4 7/8" at its widest. Thanks for any help you can provide. Don

DSC02374.JPG DSC02375.JPG DSC02376.JPG DSC02378.JPG

2. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

the lid does look like it would go with the flanged honey dish. The bottom of the flanged honey has "H O N E Y" inscribed on the flange. Tho' I think there were a couple of variations with the flange; one round and one square. The inscription is on the square flange.

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks, TallCakes - I'll put a disclaimer in my listing. I bought another butter dish at the same auction that did prove to be a marriage.
    Don

4. TallCakes

the bottom looks like a match to CFG Ivy In Snow butter which has a domed lid

5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Co-operative Flint advertised this as "Forest". Also has the aka of Ivy in the Snow. Interestingly Autrienths in their book do not show this cover pattern or the finial. The design appears to be a little different but within common variances. This was also made by Phoenix after 1935, from molds bought from Co-operative Flint. and then by Kemple.

6. TallCakes

this/these are interesting patterns by CFG. I think both 'Ivy In Snow" and "Ivy Leaf" are part of "Forest Ware". The details of the ivy are a tiny bit different (from what I can see). The leaf detail look finer in the "Ivy Leaf" honey dish line and "Ivy In Snow" has the addition of the berries. EAPGpatterns has the OMN as "Flanged Honey" which I think is likely from what the form was labeled in the catalog. The honey was made in both a round and rectangle flanged design, and each had different finials. From what I can tell the reproduction was fairly limited and did not include the honey or butter dishes.

a honey with good photos is listed:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161328377178?rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%3A80%2Frover%2F1%2F711-53200-19255-0%2F1%3Ficep_ff3%3D2%26pub%3D5574735181%26toolid%3D10001%26campid%3D5336086427%26icep_item%3D161328377178%26ipn%3Dpsmain%26icep_vectorid%3D229466%26kwid%3D902099%26mtid%3D824%26kw%3Dlg%26srcrot%3D711-53200-19255-0

EPAGpattern has the butter dish:
    http://eapgpatterns.com/images/highres/ivyinsnow_butter.jpg
    http://eapgpatterns.com/images/highres/ivyinsnow_butter_bottom.jpg

7. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Jenks et al in "Identifying Pattern Glass Reproductions" shows a honey but not this one for Phoenix. The one at EAPGpatterns is the same as shown by Autenreith. I am still bothered by not seeing the finial any place.

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the research! The detail on the lid is much crisper and with more leaf veins than the leaves on the base. Also there is a continuous vine connecting the leaves around the top but the base has four separate springs with two berries each. Perhaps Ivy Leaf was only available as a honey dish? I think I'll split them up after all and list them separately.

9. EAPG

EAPG New Member

I see the lid at eBay. Shipping charges have changed a lot since I was sellng!

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You have people talking here who know I lot more about this than I ever will. All I can say is there seems to be a significant difference in the treatment of the leaves between top and bottom.

11. EAPG

EAPG New Member

Hi, that's not why I posted, I already knew what each piece is, was just curious about the lid being at eBay, it's an o.k. buy, I just can't get used to the shipping charges now, they seem to be about double what they were when I was selling at eBay.

12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi EAPG - yes, they've gone up quite a bit. I am a bit on the high side though. I prefer to send priority mail since it gives me tracking and my customers seem to like how fast they get their package. I also double box everything which pushes up the price. Even at my shipping prices I lose money on shipments to California, Florida, and Texas. I need to explore some of the new methods of buying and printing postage but just haven't found the time.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted