Early 1900s stroller

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Matt, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Matt

Matt New Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hello all, just joined the forum.

My coworker has a stroller that his mother rode in when she was an infant. We're trying to figure out a good price to sell it for (especially since Haloween is just around the corner).

From what I've read it's definitely older than 1950s - I'm guessing 1920s and the one hub cap is labeled "Colier".

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I'd be very surprised if that carriage were any older than the 1950s.

Ladybranch and KingofThings like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I agree with Bookahtoo. If I recall correctly, the one I used for my son in the late 60's was the same.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Matt

Matt New Member

That's possible but his mother is 91 years old now.. But perhaps it was a different stroller

KingofThings likes this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I've some of those hubcaps.....somewhere that may as well be new. :)

7. KingofThings

I concur.

8. KingofThings

WAIT!!!!
    Son... 60s..... Get outa here Bakers!!! :)

9. Bakersgma

Well, it was the very late 60's, but still....

10. KingofThings

Not buyin' it....... ;)

11. Bakersgma

Heh. Tell that to my son. ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  12. KingofThings

:)

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I thought that was called a pram ?

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

"Baby Carriage" was the American usage back then. "Strollers" didn't come along until they made the kind in which the child was seated, instead of lying down.

15. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Matt, welcome to the forum!

Like the others have said, this definitely not a 1920s baby carriage. It could date anytime from the late 1940s - 1970s. Here are examples of baby carriages from different eras:

1905-1913
    http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3622/3432754208_c5bbe36ebb.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3023/3013279550_b5e3c12e62.jpg

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/167/404103426_7b2f75cabe.jpg

1943 NYC
    http://thebirdfeednyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/1943-in-the-park.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2192/2100453950_6743dff8e5.jpg

>Well, it was the very late 60's, but still....<

Ditto here, but it was a daughter. I also agree we called this style a baby carriage. Some times they were referred to as baby buggies. Today most people don't know what they were called, and just group them into the stroller category.

>I thought that was called a pram ?<

Maybe baby carriages pre-1930s were called prams, but we didn't in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Prams may be more of a British term?

>...figure out a good price to sell it for..<

If you do a Google search on "Collier-Keyworth" baby carriage, many images similar to this one will come up. Also searching around eBay will come up with several in this style. Be aware that those in an active sale/auction may be over priced, wishful thinking on the part of the sellers. You need to check "sold" carriages to see what they really sold for. Here are some active sales:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...S1&_nkw=1950s+Collier+Baby+carriages&_sacat=0

--- Susan

KingofThings, komokwa and afantiques like this.
  16. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Ooops, just noticed Pat/Cluttered already posted the page link where I linked to the pictures separately and suggested the Google search. Oh well, pleaseee skip over my previous reply!!

--- Susan

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  17. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

British is a pram, derived from the full name, a perambulator, which has much the same meaning as stroller. Just a bit more formal.

Nowadays people mostly use push-chairs, which may be what US users refer to as a stroller. They are often referred to as baby buggies, probably by the type of people whosay OMG and Awesome.

Both devices are useful for pushing out into the road in front of the mother to check if there is any traffic coming.

In the 50's, discarded prams were the joy of small boys who turned them into go-carts.

I see the one illustrated has the optional settee attachment for taking the grandparents along as well. These can prove cumbersome on narrow pavements (sidewalks).

morgen94 and KingofThings like this.
  18. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

This may sound a bit odd, but that carriage looks exactly like the very large doll carriage I got for Christmas in 1958.

I just gave it away when we were downsizing for our move last year, so I had a good chance to look at it closely then (for the first time in years.) At that point, I actually considered whether mine had been made for a doll or if it was for a real baby - it really was that big.

The color, interior, construction, wheels - even the details on the folding mechanism for the "hood" - shown in the photo here are identical to those on the one that I had.

(Maybe mine truly was intended for a real baby and not a doll?) Either way, it was definitely 1958 when I got it.

19. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

SBSVC -

Many carriage companies made smaller doll versions of their carriages.

20. Bakersgma

I went looking for my mother's baby/childhood picture album last night - she was born in '26, so if she were still with us, she would be 89 now - because I remembered (vaguely) a few with her in a baby carriage. Found it, but since most of the images are focused on Baby more than the carriage, there weren't any clear images showing the carriage's construction. It was clearly made of the wicker or wicker-like material shown in the 20's examples, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted