Featured early 19th century bow front federal chest?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by legenddrug, Oct 24, 2018.

1. legenddrug

legenddrug New Member

I have an early 19th century bow front federal chest I would like a closer approximation on date, material, country of origin, value or any other interesting information. Thank You!

IMG_1628.JPG

IMG_1630.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1634.JPG

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@James Conrad @verybrad

Sorry, just realized you joined today.
    Hello and welcome.
    I just paged two of our furniture people.
    Don't forget to check back tonight or tomorrow as people come and go at odd hours.

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It looks to me like an American 1st quarter 19th century Hepplewhite bow front chest of drawers with flared french feet and cock bead drawer fronts. Could be original brass pulls as well, nice chest. Value? well, not as much as one would think these days, I'll guess $1000-$2000 at auction, more in a retail setting.
    Primary wood is mahogany, can't see what species of wood is on secondary construction but, there are really only 2 possible locations for origin, america & england and with those eagle brasses, i am goin with american. A genuine, no foolin around, antique piece of period furniture!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Figtree3, cxgirl, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

welcome to Antiquers Legenddrug!

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Legenddrug!
    Tip - Next time you post photos, check the first box Full Size for All Images. :)

kyratango and James Conrad like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If it weren't for the handles, I'd have said late 18th/early 19th C mahogany English. But we'd not do those American eagle thingies. ;)

Figtree3, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  7. James Conrad

Exactly, that eagle screams American, especially with those 13 stars above the eagle, I think its got it's original pulls which adds to it's appeal & value.

8. legenddrug

legenddrug New Member

added twist. The pulls aren't original. There is a single hole underneath the pulls.

9. James Conrad

Hmmmm, they look period though, are they cast or stamped and, is there a witness mark on either side of drawer of a different pull? What is secondary wood species, oak or something else?

judy, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Am thinking English with that oak secondary wood.

11. James Conrad

If it is oak secondary, I'd say yes, english & someone installed american style pulls in an effort to make it appear like an american chest?. If that is the case then value in USA would be lower I'd say. Still a period Hepplewhite chest though, just not american which hurts value here.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Figtree3, kyratango and i need help like this.
  12. James Conrad

kyratango and i need help like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Hnh. If the handles have been replaced, then I totally agree it's one of ours. It has that utter air of familiarity - very like some stuff I have, or have seen. That back is typical.

Here? It's useful and in nice condition. £200 to £300, which is ridiculous, really, given how expensive modern crap is.

14. James Conrad

Well, Brad seems to think secondary wood is oak and if that's the case it almost does not matter about the pulls, it's english. That GREATLY reduces it's value here and yes it's amazing that good quality antique furniture goes for a song these days, generally speaking. In many cases you couldn't buy the wood for what the pieces sell for.

kyratango, i need help and judy like this.
  15. James Conrad

The pull thing though is odd, it's almost like someone WANTED it to be american.

16. Ownedbybear

Some clever British exporter, maybe. ;)

17. James Conrad

Or some clever American importer.

18. James Conrad

Thing is, by the turn of the 18th century (1700) using oak as a secondary wood in furniture construction had died out everywhere in america except the Delaware river valley and, it died out there as well by 1740. Bottom line is, anything built after 1740 that has oak secondary, it ain't american, simple as that.

DelawareRiverBasin-01.png

i need help likes this.
  19. legenddrug

legenddrug New Member

Great information! Here are some pictures of the pull and what is underneath that clearly shows they aren't original. IMG_1641.JPG IMG_1642.JPG IMG_1643.JPG

kyratango likes this.
  20. James Conrad

Yes, clear now that those pulls are not original, still, the most critical factor here is secondary wood on your chest, is it oak?

Draft saved Draft deleted