Early 20th Century Continental Porcelain Figurine

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KEVIN AIREY, Sep 17, 2020.

1. KEVIN AIREY

KEVIN AIREY Well-Known Member

Guys and Gals.
    Any ideas on this?
    It has lost some of its gold coloured definition markings.

I have learnt a good bit from the forum. Without markings how do you establish whether a piece (as I believe here) is an early 20th Century continental porcelain piece?
    Or due to the countless amounts is it a bit of a best guess?

Thanks a lot

upload_2020-9-17_16-18-17.png

upload_2020-9-17_16-18-36.png

upload_2020-9-17_16-18-56.png

upload_2020-9-17_16-19-11.png

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

At least for me it's a bit of a guess. The few marked examples of these pieces that I've found point back to German origins. And given the sheer volume of figures produced, I am assuming that if other marks existed they would have turned up by now. Perhaps not the best logic but it's what I've been using.

I do not, though, attribute them to Germany in my listings. I usually use "Continental" or some other type of wording that reflects my lack of certainty as to place of origin.

Any Jewelry and KEVIN AIREY like this.
  3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

It's nearly impossible to identify this sort of figurine.They almost always are German but like dgbjwc you cant be certain so Continental probably German would be fair. They are 20th century sometimes later than you might think as this sort of stuff was also popular in the 60s.

KEVIN AIREY likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted