Early 20th century cursive writing help?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Jerry Coker, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Jerry Coker

Jerry Coker Active Member

Hello, the Steele Box thread (interesting thread, btw!), reminded me of some documents I won in a photograph lot I purchased awhile back. I was trying to read the cursive writing in one of the documents (a letter), but am stuck with a few words, and was wondering if a few other eyes could help me decipher the contents of the letter? Below are pics of the envelope & letter. Here's what I think the letter says, with "?" meaning I can't make out the word:

To Mr. Fred? Beal (letter from Clinton Indiana, 4-8-1918)
    Kingman, Indiana

My Dear Sir:
    I have been thinking of going to Kingman to see you but could not get away on account of my work here. Did you ever take up the proposition with your brother in law at Indianapolis? I have two locations? for coal mines? that would be the best? in this field. One black coal, the other #3 grain? It would be a great favor to me Fred? if you would see him and let me know at once.

Hoping to here from you by return mail if possible, I am? Very truly yours
    P. Edison?
    615 So. 4th St.
    Clinton, Indiana

So it sounds like P.Edison is trying to drum up business with Fred Beal, and Fred's brother in law. Coal mining appears to have been a big business in this part of Indiana. Unfortunately this letter doesn't match any of the photos or other documents in the lot I purchased. Any cursive readers, feel free to enlighten me :) Thank you.

letter1.jpg letter2.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think the word after #3 looks like "vein" -- referring to a vein of ore in a mine, probably. I think you have all the other words in the letter correct, except I can't tell about P. E.'s surname.

mforder, Bronwen and judy like this.
  3. Jerry Coker

Thank you figtree, "vein" makes sense, and with fresher eyes now, I think the name could be "P.Edman". Still not sure though. Thank you for replying!

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

On enlargement & inverting, I don't see anything to say that it's NOT 'P. Edmons', which it looks like in the letter....hope that's helpful...​

Surname-Edit.jpg

judy, DizzyDaff, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I compared the letters against those in other words and do think it's P. Edmons. But familysearch.org doesn't place him in Clinton, Indiana at the time. (Of course, he might not have been a permanent resident.) I did see something that a Fred Beal ran a garage in Kingman, Indiana but couldn't find anything else.

Debora

6. Jerry Coker

Thanks for the replies! I too searched Beal & Edmond with various spellings, but didn't find anything definitive. That seems to be my luck when researching old family photo albums too But these old documents & photos are still way cool anyway :)

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You can always call the research librarians in the respective cities and have them look in the 1919 city directories for you. In that era, they gave occupations too.

Debora

DizzyDaff and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I can see it as Ederson(s).

10. Figtree3

This morning I started looking in the 1910 and 1920 U. S. Census on Ancestry. I found a man named Pearl Edmonds, occupation coal miner, listed in the 1910 census in Clinton, Vermillion County, Indiana. Although the census says the last name is Edmonds, somebody has cross-referenced it with the last name Edmons. This was probably an Ancestry user who was familiar with the person. Pearl's wife was named Elizabeth and they had a son named Leaman F. Edmon(d)s, who was one month old when the 1910 census was taken.

Pearl was born in December 1883, according to the previous census in 1900, when people were asked to give their month and year of birth. He was listed as 26 in 1910.

I also had found a Fred V. Beal listed in 1920, not in Kingman, Indiana but in the same county. I don't have time to further research this right now. I hope that gives some clues.

11. Jerry Coker

Thank you figtree, very helpful, thanks for taking the time to check these two individuals in Ancestry. Although I'm not related to either individual I was born in Indianapolis and many of my ancestors were coal miners, and I heard plenty of stories about working in the mines from my Aunts & Uncles, when I was a kid. That is why this document caught my eye when I was going through all these documents that were included with some old photos I bought recently. Looks like I can get a subscription to Ancestry for about $25 a month, or maybe my library gets it for free, I will check that out. Thanks again for taking the time to look them up in Ancestry. And thanks to everyone else who has provided input in this thread!

DizzyDaff, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think that's reflected in your surname.

bluumz likes this.
  13. Jerry Coker

14. DizzyDaff

DizzyDaff Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

"subscription to Ancestry for about $25 a month"
    @Jerry Coker FamilySearch.org is free

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, I recommend FamilySearch.org as a place to start. One of my rules of life... Avoid reoccurring fees if not absolutely necessary.

Debora

lovewrens likes this.
  16. Figtree3

True, and it's good to check both if you are really being thorough because FamilySearch has some things Ancestry does not have, and vice versa.

17. Jerry Coker

Thanks for the tip, I will check out FamilySearch!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted