Early Baby Doll (Snookums? from Newlyweds) Chalk? Composition? ID

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jason Pferdeort, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Jason Pferdeort

Jason Pferdeort Active Member

Hello everyone,

I have been researching this doll toy for a while now and I can find no information.
    So, I decided to see if any of you good folks might have some light to shed on this toy.

The auction states that the doll is composition (but it may be chalk).
    The auction also states that the doll is of Baby Snookums from "The Newlyweds" comic.
    I believe the metal sticking out of the head is suppose to attach to a wire by which the toy can be moved and guided.

Any information would be most appreciated. Thank you.
    -Jason

Early 20th century?
    [​IMG]

NewEngland and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Jason.....so if it IS movable, then I take it you don't have the remote to control it???? can you look carefully inside by the arms to see if they look movable????

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That "wire" is in just the right place to be the classic Baby Snookums hair that stuck straight up from the front of the head. May not have anything to do with "guiding" it.

(But I do love your idea about a remote control, Aquitaine. ;) )

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

5. Aquitaine

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

7. Aquitaine

HA! Would help if I read closer!!!!:hilarious::smug::smuggrin: And the link worked FINE!!!!!

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've thought that many times about myself, in many different situations. Including on these forums!

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I posted that link to show the tuft of hair.

The quality of the doll in this thread cannot compare to the one at Hake's auction house.

Sorry if my link was misleading.

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Jason Pferdeort

Thank you everyone for your replies! I am sorry I have been absent as the OP. antiquers.com normally sends me updates regarding new information on a thread in which I am involved. I received zero e-mail notifications and I was growing sad thinking my poor thread never received any attention. I decided to logon to the actual site and check the thread and I am so happy to see so many responses! Thank you all so much.

I check the link to the Hake's auction and this is my opinion: the dolls are not the same. While I searched over hours for the Snookums in this thread I paid attention to the eyes. The eyes in the Hake's photo are real eyes with pupils. The snookums I am looking at has cartoon-like oval pupils for eyes. The mouth is different as well.

I will be speaking with someone about the doll today. Hopefuly once armed with new information I will be able to track this doll down.

I will post any information I find today.

Thank you all again!

11. Jason Pferdeort

Hi everyone!

I have found the baby!

I looked at images on google of the actual cartoon "The Newlyweds" and found out what Snookums looked like in the cartoon. I determined that the doll in this thread may not actually be baby Snookums.

Bakergma - you were right on about the wire!
    Judy - thank you for verifying the head is composition and for searching for a realized price.

So, finally...
    I searced for "composition baby crawling" and found the following information below:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-composition-ceramic-crawling-1832918805

Below, I have included a photo from the site and the description the seller gave on eBay:

[​IMG]

ANTIQUE COMPOSITION / CERAMIC CRAWLING BABY 1 CURL ON FOREHEAD OLD
    SOLD FOR:$23.59
    SOLD DATE: Oct 05, 2016
    SOURCE:eBay
    WORTHPOINT CATEGORY: Toys, Dolls, Games & Puzzles
    ORIGINAL CATEGORY: Dolls & Bears:Dolls:Antique (Pre-1930):Composition
    You are bidding on this Antique Composition / Ceramic Crawling Baby Doll. Head is smooth and has a little curl, made of pipe cleaner coming out of a hole. Facial features & ears are outlined with black. Clothes are tacked on. Legs pull back and spring forward. Body feels like it could be cardboard in the middle. I didn't find any markings. Right arm may need to be put back into proper place - it moves. Doll measures 4 1/2" high x 4 1/2" long. Doll looks familiar as a Character from the early 1930's - any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Thanks for reporting the results.:cat:

Draft saved Draft deleted