Featured Early green plastic brooches

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Eils14, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and have joined because I have been impressed with the fantastic knowledge you all have and I am hoping you will be able to help with identifying some pieces for me. :happy:

I have been asked by a family friend to look at some pieces for her, some of which is jewellery. While I am not great at identifying semi-precious stones, having looked at the pieces I believe all are early plastic, and not the vintage jade she told me they were made from.

The first brooch has a floral motif and I am wondering if it is made from perhaps something like celluloid? (sorry for the dirt, not cleaned yet!)

The other 2 brooches, which are identical, have been run under hot water and have the bakelite smell! She has pieces from her mother from the 1920's, so I reckon they date to roughly then. I am just curious though as to why she would have 2 identical brooches? Would they be worn on either side of the collar perhaps? They are quite chunky and measure about 6.7cm by 3.5cm.

TIA,

Eils14

Forum.JPG Forum2.JPG Forum3.JPG Forum4.JPG Forum5.JPG Forum7.JPG Forum6.JPG

judy, KSW, Sandra and 7 others like this.
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Welcome, Eils14!:)
    You seems right on for your material identification:joyful:
    The purpose for two identical big brooches may well be what you think too!;)

judy, KSW, Sandra and 4 others like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Love the Bakelite S pins!!!

judy, KSW, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  4. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Thank you :) It's good to get some confirmation of my ideas, as I suspect she may be disappointed to know they aren't actually made from jade!

judy, KSW, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

However, the bakelite are unusual. Don't dismiss them. Still some value there.

Diamepphyre, Eils14, judy and 4 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd be very happy to score those S brooches at some kind of sale. The top one looks like Japanese molded plastic, but it's fairly old. My guess would be post-WWII but not by a lot.

Eils14, judy, KSW and 4 others like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The S brooches are fabulous. I think very saleable too.

Eils14, judy and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Explain to her that genuine jade elements would have been set in a frame-like mount & the pin & catch would have been attached to that. They would not have had the findings attached by drilling holes & gluing them directly into the material.

Eils14, judy, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Whereas that's precisely how bakelite should be set.

judy, Bronwen and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  10. Eils14

Eils14 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone; it's good to know the S brooches are still something special and I will let her know what you have all said too! :happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted