Featured Early Hull Pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Josh, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

DSCF7176 - Copy.JPG DSCF7177 - Copy.JPG DSCF7178 - Copy.JPG Found these 2 early Hull flower pots the other day. The one has the H in diamond and the the other H in circle mark. That should put these between 1910-1935 range. Octagonal shape large one measures 6" tall and 6 1/2" wide, small one is 3 3/4" tall and 4 1/2" wide. Has a design of a parrot on the swing on the top and parrot siting on a perch on the bottom. I am wondering if anyone has seen this design before. I have one Hull book and it is not in there and i have been searching everywhere and have not been able to find this design. Just trying to decide if I have found a rare piece of early Hull or not before I price these and put them out for sale. Thanks

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I can't help, but those are very cool whatever they turn out to be!

TraceyB, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

They certainly look like the Hull marks as shown in my book (The Collectors Encyclopedia of Hull Pottery by Brenda Roberts). Your pots are not shown in Roberts' book. Roberts states marks like the ones on your pots were used in the early years of the pottery: 1910 - 1935. I think these would have been near the end of that range due to the design and decoration. They remind me of Brush Pottery's Kolorkraft line which was a late 1920's early 1930's line.

At least at the time of Roberts book there was little company documentation for this early period. I am not a Hull collector but I see no reason not to believe these are genuine. I would think they are rare as I've never come across them in my years of pottery collecting but what that means as far as pricing goes I really can't provide too much advice. I would assume they would fall roughly where similarly marked pieces sell or maybe a little higher. They scream depression era and having a pair is an added bonus. The Hull market is not strong and that includes the early Hull pieces but yours are special and could bring a surprise. Bakersgma and I are in agreement (as usual) that these are very cool pieces. I love the parrots.

You might find further information by inquiring on the Hull Collectors Facebook page.
    Don

4. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

I can only add I LOVE THEM!!!

Linda

TraceyB and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

6. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks to everybody for the help. I agree they are very cool pieces. Don you and I have the same book as that was the exact info I had found so far. I probably need to try and update my library as many of my books are on the older side.

Kronos, thanks so much.

TraceyB and Lucille.b like this.
  7. Wendy Ohlsen

Wendy Ohlsen New Member

Hi Josh,
    I love them! Any chance you’d sell either?
    Thanks,
    Wendy

TraceyB likes this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

You need to contact this person directly, since this is an old thread.

TraceyB likes this.
  9. Wendy Ohlsen

Wendy Ohlsen New Member

Thank you!

TraceyB likes this.
  10. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

They are gorgeous!!! I love the colour :cool:

11. Wendy Ohlsen

Wendy Ohlsen New Member

Me too, I want them!!! I tried bidding on one at auction a few years ago, was way out bid!

TraceyB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted