Earrings and necklace question? Asian? And what do these earring say?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Michelle Collins, May 19, 2019.

1. Michelle Collins

Michelle Collins Well-Known Member

IMG_20190519_180359201 (2).jpg earrings.jpg

Attached Files:

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The necklace looks like early 70s, and the dangle wants to be Sarah Coventry.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Michelle Collins

The earrings are Sarah Coventry?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Michelle Collins

I got these at my first ever estate sale. The previous owner traveled the world, I was told by her neighbor. The amount of jewelry was insane.

There were also these I wanted to know about.
    Capture.JPG

5. Michelle Collins

And these. Spain? They are magnetic. Birds.JPG Capture.JPG IMG_20190520_102216354.jpg

6. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I like the necklace and agree with evelyb30 that it looks early 70s -- maybe 60s. I've seen vintage necklaces with the same dangle, but have never found a signature, and have wondered who the maker was (pretty sure it's American). I've only seen two styles of Sarah Coventry dangles (shown below). I can't help with the earrings.
    SarahCovClasps.jpg

judy and Michelle Collins like this.
  7. Michelle Collins

Ah OK. That is what she meant by the dangle. Good information. Thank you both!

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Joan like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The black and gold ones are indeed from Spain. Damascene from Toledo, albeit not of the highest quality, so tourist souvenirs probably. 1960s ish.

Christmasjoy, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

The first piece definitely wants to be Sarah Cov (in many ways), but I agree that it isn't.

I do think it's meant to mimic one of several embroidery stiches called the "forbidden stitch" (though unlikely there was ever such a thing as a stitch that was forbidden) and associated with Chinese embroidery.

For more info: http://www.marlamallett.com/forbidden_stitch.htm

Stitches-Open_Seed_Stitch-DD.jpg

10. Michelle Collins

Wow! Thanks!

11. Ownedbybear

Oh, and the MOP ones probably say something like long life. Almost certainly bought in Hong Kong.

12. Jivvy

I think the earrings in the first pic are meant to represent "fu" (fortune) and I believe they're backwards (and not particularly accurate, so, as someone who knows no Chinese, I have no idea if the "offness" is stylistic, poor workmanship, or a different word entirely, lol).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu_(character)

fu_character.jpg

13. Michelle Collins

Not sure about the mother of pearl. I think that is just the way the picture came out. They are not cold and don't have that iridescent look to them, but I could be wrong. They are light weight and discolored in places and appear to be hand carved? 2019-05-20-11-42-51-874.jpg 2019-05-20-11-42-34-597.jpg 2019-05-20-11-37-37-687.jpg

14. Michelle Collins

Could just mean FU :wacky: Wouldn't that be funny!

15. Ownedbybear

The ones I have are MOP, and hand carved. Yours look different, now that I can see a close up. Ivory perhaps.

16. Michelle Collins

Maybe something like this? https://www.etsy.com/listing/653667...gallery-6-11&referring_page_type=market&frs=1

KSW likes this.
  17. Jivvy

18. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe @Any Jewelry knows something about this. It is a good idea to have a separate thread for each piece. (Things can get overlooked if there’s too many items in one thread) :)

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The first necklace could be something like Lisner or BSK; it's definitely American, but whodunnit ... dunno. The Chinese writing earrings could be either bone or ivory; they made both, but ivory generally didn't just get costume clips. Those could also be replacements.

The Spanish ones are Spanish, and the ones with the blue glass are ... probably department store.

20. Michelle Collins

I kinda thought that about the blue ones too. I remember wearing anklets in the 90's that looked like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted