Earth Knowledge book, "Specimen"

Discussion in 'Books' started by daveydempsey, Oct 3, 2020.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I found this cloth covered book, Earth Knowledge, Book III by McDougall's Educational Company limited.

It is strung and knotted rather than stapled.

It is undated but by looking at the maps I think it was published after 1902 and before WWI.

It mentions German East Africa, Prussia and the Kaiser Wilhelm Kanal which is now the Kiel Canal, Danzig and has no mention of War

It is rubber stamped on the inside.

"With the publisher's compliments *SPECIMEN*
    Trusting this series may be adopted"

Would this stamp mean it was some sort of advertising gift to a school or college hoping they would buy more to use for education ?

I can only find one other similar but that is marked Book#I although offered for sale as Book #IV on Amazon.

With it being marked *SPECIMEN* and no others around have I got a rarity ?

20201003_112220.jpg

20201003_112251.jpg

20201003_112259.jpg

moreotherstuff and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Sounds like a reviewer's copy/salesman's sample of the textbook world. Would think the stamp has about the same effect on value as markings on an ex libris volume, negative. JMO based on reading used book descriptions & prices.

moreotherstuff, Fid and daveydempsey like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WHY would that stamp be a ‘negative’ when it sounds, at least to me, more like a ‘positive’ comment???

moreotherstuff and Bronwen like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

While I like books with some trace of previous history - owner's siganture, bookplate, etc. - collectors want pristine copies, without stamps from libraries or textbook salesmen. Ideally one would have a mark-free set of all levels of the book that were printed.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes. I think Specimen means it's a sample copy that publisher supplied to schools for review in hopes it will be purchased (in quantities) and used as part of curriculum. Does seem to be scarce. (I see University of Oxford and University College London both have copies of Book II in their libraries.) Oh, here you go... May be this edition: Book III -- 1910.

https://www.google.com/books/editio...UKEwig2sCOzpnsAhXUJjQIHTa-BfwQre8FMAl6BAgOEAM

Debora

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I agree with @Debora's analysis - a sample sent to schools for consideration. In general, we have not found much interest or value in early school textbooks. This one does appear to be scarce, but that may be because it was not accepted for general use. Children's books tend to be popular with the generations that grew up with them and remember them fondly.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted