Featured Eastern North American basket

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Potteryplease, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Risking all your all's patience with back-to-back questions on this forum, I again ask for your input on this one. The name Bouschor brings up some indigenous people from Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, but I haven't been able to find this specific person online.

Nor am I sure of the identification of the basket as being 'placeable' in that location.

And for fun, yes I found it on a recent bicycle trip. Rode it 60 miles attached with the durable slats in the bottom. No damage at all. It's the first of what I hope are many 'finds' on a much longer bicycle journey I start next week.

Thank you as always!

28AD7F14-C896-4669-B593-08DD8CFDF6D5.jpeg C177072B-2FBB-4D6C-8A73-96A536A6CE74.jpeg C5EF8813-A962-4058-9615-A3B49B83E4B7.jpeg 8A359333-F06F-4055-9893-203904B7D270.jpeg C8FF8D1D-1F02-4B4D-8B43-3A0CAB643A83.jpeg

2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Just search for Bernadette Azevedo Basket.

3. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice NA basket..
    great condition
    great price
    good eye !!!:happy::happy:

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u got NA stuff........post as many questions as you like.....as often as you like....

:happy::happy::happy:;)

7. Potteryplease

Thank you-- I surely did search her name but for some reason did not find these... not sure why.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  8. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

OOOH! Great piece! Great price! The Soo is near and dear to my heart, as are Native pieces! Have you read "FireKeeper's Daughter"? It is fiction; written about the Soo area and the local tribal community.
    Brave way to transport it... but it looks like it came through ok! LOL... perhaps you could have worn it as a hat! :)
    Do you collect Native Art work? just curious...
    Thanks for sharing!
    Leslie

Potteryplease likes this.
  9. Potteryplease

Thank you! I'm even more excited about it since it's been ID'd. It was hiding under a table, in a dark corner. Awkward to put on a bicycle, but it worked. I got a few comments along the way too...

I have not, but I'll put it on my list!

I collect SW pottery, baskets, weavings, and carvings, more or less in that order. I'm getting in to jewelry too, where I have a LOT to learn.

komokwa likes this.
  10. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I'm glad you have a new excitement re: the basket! I think it is lovely! I hope you'll enjoy FireKeeper... you'll have to let me know what you think. It is in an odd format...but I found it easy to read. I also thought that since everyone has several names or nick names (native and english) that it was helpful to write down the cast of characters. There aren't that many - but with duplicate names I was confused!
    Cheerio Leslie

Potteryplease likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted