Featured Eastlake Style Bedroom Furniture: Is there a market?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by JerseyDave, Oct 1, 2020.

1. JerseyDave

JerseyDave New Member

[I'm new to Antiquers, and would like to become better informed about antiques.]

Is this an example of Eastlake style? I can tell you it is not easy to dust, but perhaps easier than some of the other styles of the 19th century. I'm guessing walnut.

I came into this furniture (bed, dresser, wardrobe) several years ago and don't have the house to properly accommodate it. It belonged to a friend who acquired it in the South and then relocated with it to the Northeast.

The wardrobe is 10' tall; the bed is 8' tall and the dresser is just under 8'. The wardrobe knocks down, aside from the base and the crown. It is all in pretty good condition, save for a crack in the wood above the mirror of the dresser, that appears to have been glued not so professionally.

What's to become of it? Is there a market for it, or do I break it down for its decorative elements and repurpose the wood.

Thank you for your advice.

Attached Files:

kyratango, NewEngland and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY NOT! ! !

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It is Eastlake in style.
    Unfortunately selling may be difficult. It would be nice to keep the set together, but doubt anyone will pay for it all.
    Pricing each piece individually will net you more dollars, but will probably end up breaking the set.

A lot depends on where you are, and how you intend to sell.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is a wonderful set. I would never think to break it up, I just could not do it. If I did not have four bedroom sets in a two bedroom house I would really like to add yours to mine.
    greg

5. Adrian Lewis

Adrian Lewis Journeyman

Ghopper1924 and JerseyDave like this.
  6. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, that is exactly the problem with victorian furniture in general and why prices are in the tank for middle-market pieces, it tends to be very large and it just doesn't fit well in modern houses.

Figtree3, JerseyDave and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

So beautiful!!!

There's a market for it, but you probably won't get as much as you think you should. The set's way above average in quality, is there no way you can keep it until the market is better? Please DO NOT paint it!!

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is above average in quality. If it must go, try posting on ebay or some other platform with national exposure. Have the buyer pick up or arrange their own shipping only. Otherwise, find an auction house with good results with furniture. Someone should want this. If you live in or near a large city, finding that someone will be easier than if you are in Podunkville.

Raine, Figtree3, Ghopper1924 and 3 others like this.
  10. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

Perfect for the Victorian "Bed and Breakfast" market.

11. James Conrad

True, however your set, as attractive as it is, is still considered "middle market" antique furniture.
    The 10% at the top of the market, AKA museum-quality pieces still command big numbers and, the bottom 20% (basically junk) sells well.
    It's the 70% in between those extremes that suffer in a down market which is where most antique furniture is located these days.
    It's a buyers market, no getting around it.

JerseyDave and komokwa like this.
  12. JerseyDave

JerseyDave New Member

Thanks for your candid and helpful responses -- they are in line with my hunches. I am fond of this furniture, but it is out of scale with my modest home -- and the wardrobe could fit only on its side! My friend originally had it in a pre-Civil War home with 12 foot ceilings. I have looked at sales on eBay recently, and such pieces are not selling, and are scarcely garnering bids. My intention is to try to find a buyer for the three pieces together, hopefully in the NYC area, Downstate or Northern NJ.

13. JerseyDave

JerseyDave New Member

Liveauctioneers looks like a great resource. I know these 19th century styles are not pure, but do you believe my furniture would fit in the category of Aesthetic Movement more than Eastlake? I can certainly see a considerable difference in the quality of the linked furniture with my furniture.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. JerseyDave

JerseyDave New Member

Any thoughts on the decorative elements of the crests? There is a horizontal beam that looks an element of Japanese construction.
    Although I more than likely won't paint any of it, some of the pieces on pinterest that have flatter decoration and shallow carving look awesome painted.

laura9797, Ghopper1924 and kyratango like this.
  15. JerseyDave

JerseyDave New Member

I won't -- I promise!

16. James Conrad

You might try Cape May, it's south Jersey but lots of large victorian houses

JerseyDave, Ghopper1924 and kyratango like this.
  17. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Dave,
    I feel your anguish. When I moved from Brooklyn I had an 1850 secretary that was 13 ft high. It broke my heart to sell it. I was moving into 8 ft ceilings besides it's size it was solid mahogany and weighted almost 8 hundred pounds.
    greg

18. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I'd call it more straight-up Eastlake. The crests look to have an acanthus leaf within a shell. Acanthus leaves were abundant in Renaissance Revival furniture, but were on the wane with Eastlake. The more I look at your set the more I'd date it to around 1885-90.

Draft saved Draft deleted