Ebay: Charles Dickens 1st Edition 1840 book.

Discussion in 'Sell' started by Mattiques, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Mattiques

Mattiques Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152344044483

Hope this is allowed.

If you have seen the few posts I've made you'll know I'm new to buying and selling antiques.

I currently have a 1st edition boom for sale by Charles Dickens. It's called Master Humphrey's Clock. it's actually 3 books in 1.

It currently sits at 99p and no reserve. Being new to selling antiques I'm a bit nervous so thought I'd see if anyone from the forum is a collector and let you know about it. Obviously to try and drum up some extra bids, but hopefully to also see it goes to a collector.

The front cover is unfortunately detached, but I believe it could be repaired. I also believe this will mean it could go cheaper than mosthe so could be chance to get a good deal. The rest of the book is lovely. I've owned it for a while, just proud of owning it, but if I'm to buy and sell antiques I need to do the selling part! ha

I know most people on the forum live in USA so I'll happily post to USA for the European listed postage of £15, rather than the full USA postage cost. If you win it just let me know you're from the forum and ill keep postage cost at European postage.

Thanks.

Matt - my eBay name is paintings83 so you know you're on the right item.

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Typically, omnibus editions aren't worth much but I don't know about this one.

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Well, it's in the SELL forum - so far so good!! BUT instead of telling your information, have interested buyers PM (Personal Message) you for or with details!

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Mattiques

Mattiques Member

Thanks for that Rayo...Wasn't really sure what to put. Suppose could have just let people click the link but thought id point out what was what. Will remember for future.

Regarding editions King, not sure what it's worth either. Happy with what I paid and happy to have owned it. I couldn't find it for sale in other places but not sure what that means either.

Think it's worth more than the 99p it's currently going for though

Matt

Rayo56 and KingofThings like this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

KingofThings and Rayo56 like this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

That is not the original binding,, I suspect it was bound in the 1860s for someone whose signature appears in it.
    The priciest Dickens editions are the bound original parts or installments. The next are the publishers original bound editions where the parts were reprinted, but of these, the first state editions are far more valuable than later states where typos and other errors were corrected in the edition. There are guides that specify the 'points' by which one can distinguish first state copies. Search Dickens editions points.

The binding is called half calf, it is not a full leather binding.

The more popular books fetch more than the less popular ones. A Christmas Carol is one of the most popular, Master Humpfrey is somewhere down the list.

Rebinding books as the owner desired was quite common in the 19th C, they made the library look tidier and half calf with marbled boards was a popular choice.

If any of the 3 books are first state, you need to find out. They almost certainly are not but there is no way a buyer could know this so they will make the same assumption I do.

7. Mattiques

Mattiques Member

Hi,

Thanks for that info. I have found an online book which lists all the 1st edition points of Charles Dickens books, and the different volumes.

from its section on Master Humphrey's Clock I found the following -

Collation of the 3-volume Edition. Vol. I.
    Frontispiece by George Cattermole ; title page.
    Master Humphrey's Clock. /By Charles Dickens./
    With Illustrations/By/George Cattermole and
    Hablot Browne. /Vol. I. /London : /Chapman and

CHARLES DICKENS

Hall, 186, Strand. /MDCCCXL. ; on reverse, Lon-
    don : /Bradbury and Evans, Printers, Whitefriars ;
    dedication to Samuel Rogers, Esquire, reverse
    blank ; preface two pages, dated Devonshire
    Terrace, York Gate,/September, 1840. pp. 306.

These all match the book I have. I have added this info to ebay. Hopefully it will help people's views on the book.

Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted