Featured ebay costume jewelry sold prices - are these for real?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bookahtoo, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

As some of you know, I am in the process of closing my B & M store. I brought home a lot of my costume jewelry today, and was looking at ebay for the best way to sell some of my vintage clip on earrings. But that's not my question, really.
    I saw some sold listings for some pieces that seem stupidly high - I have the same reaction as I do when I see one vintage Christmas card sell on ebay for $30 or more. I know I could never get that much for a similar card - I know, I've tried.
    Anyway, what do you think of this sold pair of earrings. Unmarked, cheaply made, plastic...cool, yes, but worth $80? Something like this makes me second guess myself all over the place.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BOLD-BIG-WILD-VINTAGE-BLACK-AND-WHITE-LUCITE-HOOP-CLIP-ON-EARRINGS-1960-039-S-MOD-/173873299007?hash=item287ba7fe3f:g:J0wAAOSwrw1cYd8Z&nma=true&si=BDv94kbTIF5hpml%2BBVB%2Bj6WC%2BUE%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I have lots of these type of earrings - I sell them for $1 or $2.

Chiquita, Lucille.b, BMRT and 6 others like this.
  2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

That's an "ended" listing, but is it a "sold" listing? Ebay is telling me "This seller is currently away, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later."

I think the price is cuh-cuh-crazy.

3. Jivvy

Oh, and Chuck Gruen greeting cards. Love 'em framed as gifts for a loved one, but refuse to pay ebay/etsy prices for them.

(hmm... there are some under the usual $30 right now... hmmm...)

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That price was pie in the sky. I'd say they're more of the $4.99 special rack type earring. If you can get $4.99 at least. Without a signature or designer name that's about the limit.

5. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

Ebay prices can be ridiculous, I collect antique sewing stuff and some/most of the prices never fail to amaze me, I know for a fact I can find similar things here in the UK much cheaper.
    And the word Rare is used indiscriminately and I know too that most of it isn't rare, very far from it.

6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

It does say "sold item," and with $6 shipping to boot, very high. I think good pictures and a really good listing that is catchy helps sell things. You never know if somebody's mom had these and they are a replacement gift....people buy memories. My chiropractor just told me yesterday he was watching eBay for years for a particular item, and he finally found it, bought it, no hesitation.

plaid423, judy, Lucille.b and 4 others like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u gotta take eblech prices with a grain of salt...
    remember...when a yard sale or estate sale seller holds up a paper saying look , this is the price on ebay.......folks here will either walk the other way....or try a well placed knee to the sellers groin area.......when walk !!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  8. Bookahtoo

Yes - they were sold for that price.
    I believe that normally the chances of this exact pair selling as high aren't much. It's not like this is a hot style, or is it?
    It's probably like some of you say - someone is looking to replace something, or this pair is just what someone wanted at that particular moment.

judy, Christmasjoy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  9. Jivvy

They were larger than average (and very "pop art" 60s), but beyond that, I don't get it. At all.

10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

OMGoodness, look at her feedback to see what she has sold!!!! How is she getting these prices? And if you look, she sold the same earrings before. Maybe she had a couple of pairs. I don't get it. And she has 103 followers!!! I was just in an antique mall yesterday and there were buckets of old earrings for $1, some $2. I did buy 25 pairs. I will have to take some listing tips from HER. I do think her photography is stunning, and she does write some wowzer titles and descriptions.

kyratango, judy, KikoBlueEyes and 2 others like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Show us your stuff and maybe we can come up with some great titles for you.

judy likes this.
  12. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

I agree, some of these are memory or moment-in-time related purchases.

I know personally I have paid a stupid amount for something I need to complete a set, etc.

IMO what they are actually worth is irrelevant vs what someone is willing to spend. Sometimes the right buyer appears at the right moment and magic happens for a seller lol.

Jivvy, judy, Marko and 2 others like this.
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Being an eBay seller for years I was often surprised at what some things sold for. I had a small 5" china plaque with a blue gill pictured on it. It was not marked and I thought a Japanese piece opened the bidding at $3.99. Opened it on a Tuesday morning around 9AM. When I checked on Wednesday morning it was $375. It was a five day listing by Sat AM it was 900 dollars with four people bidding on it. It sold for 1300 dollars!!! I was in shock. I asked the winner bidder what it was. It was a very rare piece, 99% of them had a rainbow trout. It was the only one with a blue gill. I am still amazed after all of these years.
    greg

plaid423, judy, Houseful and 6 others like this.
  14. Bookahtoo

Will do - I guess it's the crappy stuff I need help with.
    I was just planning on selling the nicer stuff in lots.

Thanks. I was thinking of something like ugly vintage earring lot, but changed my mind after I found some pretty darn ugly ones selling for big money. I guess I really hate 80s costume jewelry, which is funny because I love 1920s - 1960s costume jewelry.

judy, BMRT, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

I can't wait. Crappy is in the eye of the beholder. I'm warming up my thesaurus as we speak. Let me see "Bold, Sparkly, Full Volume, Wild, . . ." Show us those puppies. :):):):)

Figtree3, judy, BMRT and 2 others like this.
  16. Bookahtoo

Sorry kiko - it won't be until tomorrow. I don't have a smart phone, and I'm terrible with photos, but I PROMISE they'll be up by tomorrow evening.

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Here's a caveat...don't make the photo's look better than the actual item.....folks like it when the item they get....looks better than the pictures...

judy, Marko and pearlsnblume like this.
  18. Bookahtoo

Oh, no worries with me taking the photos! :eek::confused::D

pearlsnblume, Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

Gives me more time. Let me see "Vegas, HERE I COME", "Catch the Eye of Every Guy", "Party, Party Party the Night Away." :):):):):)

20. Jivvy

If I ever decide to sell stuff, I'm calling on you! :joyful:

pearlsnblume, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted