Featured Ebay lot, best bits opinions welcome!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Elen Beattie, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hello all. Picked these bits out of an ebay lot as they were described as vintage and "antique". Curious to know what you think age might be and any other info you have!

1. Amber brooch- is this amber? Also it is stamped, what was described as Russian 9 (backwards) R K, what does this mean?
    2. Described as 1920s necklace with no clasp, black beads and orange lucite-thoughts?
    3. Gold tone bangle with mother of pearl, any insight on this one?

image6 (10).jpeg image5 (12).jpeg image1 (11).jpeg image0 (12).jpeg image4 (8).jpeg image0 (11).jpeg image9 (6).jpeg image7 (8).jpeg image5 (11).jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Like the sautoir necklace.

pearlsnblume and Elen Beattie like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Russian amber, I'd think. Get a UV light on it. Might be the price in rubles and kopeks.

The bangle is good quality sixties Victorian Revival. I think someone made the necklace, rather well.

4. Elen Beattie

Just had a look! Under UV it glows like a dull yellowish colour, is that what it's supposed to do? Do you think the necklace has any age or more modern? Thanks!

pearlsnblume, judy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

It ought to glow as a sort of diffuse blue veil. Try posting a photo. Not sure on the age of the necklace, the beads may be old.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  6. Elen Beattie

image0 (13).jpeg

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’ve had vintage Russian Amber with either a 6RK or 9RK on it. Can’t recall which. One piece was mounted in silver and the other gold plated I believe. I never found out if that was the makers mark or not, but I assume it was.

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I had one of those Russian Baltic amber brooches and sold it. Someone did tell me what the stamp means but I’m not sure if I can find it again as it was on Facebook. Maybe I posted it on here too:bored:.
    I’ll see what I can find.
    It was something about the numbers representing the different factories…….or something like that :confused:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/russian-amber-brooch.55616/
    This was mine.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  9. Aznathalie

Aznathalie Well-Known Member

9 ЯК
    Kaliningrad Amber Combine

10. Ownedbybear

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think the sautoir necklace was sold ready made. It looks like the orange bead has a seam, which could help the costume joolies determine the material? It is a nice combination.

The pretty amber brooch is Soviet Era reconstituted pressed amber. These were popular in the 1950s-60s, but could also have been made before and after that period.
    The Kaliningrad Amber Combine in Yantarny is the main amber mine in the world. Yantarny is on the Baltic Coast.

The Kaliningrad Amber Combine used to be the State Amber Manufacture Königsberg (East Prussia), a name some of you joolies will know from Art Deco amber (mix) and amber mix beads traded to North Africa and the Middle East.

I agree with 1960s Victorian Revival for the bangle

12. Elen Beattie

Thanks everyone, so helpful as always!! :)

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted