Featured Ebay old photos purchase ends up being album of Jane Austen's family

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by bluumz, Jan 12, 2019.

1. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Experts said the value of the album 'can't be understated'... Never listen to experts. It might be hard to overestimate it, but surely you can understate it.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I noticed that, too. One of my Facebook friends had posted a link to the story, but I didn't say anything there about the misuse of the word. So am glad you said it here so I could chime in! It *is* a great story, though.

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed reading about this. Thanks much for posting!

5. persona-non-gratin

persona-non-gratin Well-Known Member

It is a fact universally acknowledged that a young man, having lost an arm whilst hunting, should continue with the reins between his teeth.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And grin and bear it.

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I have been hearing versions of this construction mangled repeatedly in recent years, from all sources, including commentators & panelists on news programs. As here, they mean that no value is too high - you cannot overestimate it - then say you can't underestimate it.

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very interesting.

scoutshouse and bluumz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted