Featured Edgefield jug

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Frank, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I recently posted some pictures in the Furniture forum of what seems to be a candle box. The box came to me from my mother's family in Edgefield, SC. In the discussion, James Conrad made the connection to Edgefield, and mentioned that he'd seen some amazing auction results for Edgefield pottery, especially signed pieces. So, I thought I'd share a few pictures of this jug, also a family piece from Edgefield. I would hesitate to assign a date to it, but it was among items from the mid 1800's that my mother inherited. P1210110.JPG P1210111.JPG P1210112.JPG P1210115.JPG P1210118.JPG

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what I would do. They would know plus their website encourages peeps to inquire about old jugs and I think it's free.

judy, dude, i need help and 2 others like this.
  4. James Conrad

Your Enfield jug looks very Brown! Which is about ALL I know about it. :playful:

judy, dude, journeymagazine and 3 others like this.
  5. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Someone wrote a song about that, didn't they?

judy, Any Jewelry, dude and 3 others like this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The folks at Crocker Farms are wonderful to work with & are very helpful. I sold a pottery whistle shaped like a dog with them back in 2016. Thank you again, Don!! :happy::happy::happy:

Here is the original thread.

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/old-pottery-dog-figurine-school-project-or-something-else.8598/

They have Edgefield jugs come through the auction house here in Columbia SC quite frequently & they always bring very spirited bidding. :D:D

However, I am with @James Conrad to me this looks like a brown baked dirt whiskey jug & I wouldn't be able to spot an Edgefield jug if it fell into my lap. I have always said the only way I will ever find one is by sheer accident. :rolleyes::rolleyes::p:p :hilarious:

judy, dude, Frank and 2 others like this.
  7. i need help

The Furniture Pro is branching out! :singing:

judy, Any Jewelry, dude and 3 others like this.
  8. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I really ought to inventory and post pictures of all the goodies my mother gave me that came from her Edgefield family. They range from a Joseph Johnson fusee pocket watch, to a hand hewn dough bowl. Hmmm, now that I'm retired, I guess I don't have an excuse not to.

9. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the pocket watch!

judy, bercrystal and dude like this.
  10. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I did post about the watch a couple of years ago. I was directed to the NAWCC, where I got quite a lot of information

I hope it's alright to post a re-direct here.

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/joseph-johnson-fusee-watch.39243/#post-723449

One of the things I learned is that the gold hallmarks are bogus. The movement was put in a new case when it was shipped to the US. Apparently it was common to import uncased watches, and put them in US made cases. The hallmarks were added to increase the value.

11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

12. say_it_slowly

13. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

With that squared shoulder it’s considered a “stacker jug”. The glaze looks like an Albany slip but maybe in natural light it looks different? I’d think circa 1870-1890. Just guessing made by Hahn or Baynham, they used both alkaline and Albany slip glazes.

Frank, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the dough bowl :D

Frank, i need help, judy and 2 others like this.
  15. James Conrad

Indeed, Dave the slave holds the world record for an American Potter for a single jug sold at auction. $1,560,000.......... FOR ONE JUG!

https://www.crockerfarm.com/highlights/edgefield-stoneware/

The link above is an entire page on Edgefield SC potters (not just Dave Drake) & the prices they fetch at auction, kind of UNREAL!
    At the bottom of the Edgefield page at link above are jugs/ potters from all over, NYC, NY state, New England, Baltimore, bla bla bla
    Pot people are NUTS!:p
    Or at least, nuttier than furniture people! :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  16. say_it_slowly

So says you:D
    upload_2021-12-8_9-7-42~2.png

17. i need help

@Frank If you do contact Crocker Farms, please let us know what they say.

18. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I've emailed them, and will gladly share any response.

19. say_it_slowly

I don't know if this person is correct it their attribution as Baynham, Edgefield but they seem to have some reason to think so. Just thought it resembled yours quite a bit so just wanted to put it out there. Crocker Farms will know more I'm certain.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254660565436
    upload_2021-12-8_17-50-54.png
    upload_2021-12-8_17-51-21.png

20. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Beautiful watch! Beats my Hamilton America Railroad watch!

Frank and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted