Featured Edward VIII cup?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Houseful, Oct 8, 2022.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure it’s him although there’s nothing royal looking about the piece, looks more military to me. I can’t make out the impressed backstamp though. Initially I thought Sylvac from the look and feel but their marks are not like that. I’ve tried the chilli powder but it’s not showing up any better. Any thoughts please? I’m also wondering if it was made after his abdication due to lack of royal insignia, and yellow inside? Does that mean anything? He was ostracised here of course. Had a look online for another one but no luck.
    CDD467EC-677C-488E-A4D9-028FDC33F245.jpeg DB93A398-A007-4AD8-BB0A-ED651A1435F4.jpeg 2C6F9A3B-FF68-4AAA-9F59-57C37A8B1A86.jpeg BB83BDB3-BD27-4495-A17E-0C339BCDC7C4.jpeg BE25C22B-D034-45EA-8696-2A5579714887.jpeg 70B32EE2-C5FE-4E45-938D-4CD52D73EE5D.jpeg

Figtree3, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

If you look at the 3rd photo, the handle is an E.

Figtree3, Boland, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  3. Houseful

Yes, good spot:)

komokwa likes this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think if it was a royal (commemorative) piece, it would've been marked. The neck and shoulder do show some sort of generic military design -- epaulettes, medal, etc. I see the "E" too, but don't know what that would represent.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

6. Houseful

komokwa and Roaring20s like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Worthpoint listing:
    'Bretby Art Pottery Musical Toby Jug Character Mug "King Edward VIII" - Very Rare in 8" Size - Plays "My Country Tis of Thee"'

American seller, do you think? :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Oops. ;)

Try Bretby. That looks like their sort of sunrise mark.

Houseful and bercrystal like this.
  9. Houseful

Thanks, it is by Bretby.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Duh, someone had said that!

11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

"Very Rare," yet many are found through online search. :)

bluumz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted