Featured Edwardian brooch/pendant?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dessert58, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

347BF95D-B79F-450A-A506-7A5451965B07.jpeg 245E4A98-8668-43AA-BDA3-CDF6D1FA4781.jpeg A7580EA2-6BFA-441D-88CA-63B309CB8C93.jpeg 556E8B06-055E-4632-8DEA-6CE325239C00.jpeg 91851C57-E012-4733-B3A2-D995A2120E5F.jpeg C0F5DD76-7832-459C-8EF5-31F05E068783.jpeg This is my newest acquisition. I found it today in a 'kringwinkel' the Belgian equivalent of a second hand shop/thriftstore? I usually never find anything jewelry-wise worth my money or time there, but I believe this was an exception.
    I payed 2,5€.
    I think it started life as an Edwardian 'something'. Not sure what: a pendant, a brooch, a wire stopper or how do you call these things?
    My view is at one point in time it needed to be repaired and someone added an ugly brooch- closure and the pearl drop with some tin solder.
    The rest of the brooch is good quality and could even be (low) carat gold (my testing kit is on its way!)
    The pink stones are just paste.
    So what is your opinion? Did this piece start life like this?
    For the moment I keep it as is, and it lives on my winter coat

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Good heavens, that's lovely. The pin back needs to come off. ;) Either a pendant or one of a pair of earrings. One may have been lost, hm?

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is so sweet, Dessert.:happy: Ca 1900 imo. An earring is a good guess.
    If you manage to get that pin back off safely, you could attach two chains to the curves of the heart shape, and wear it as a necklace.
    Yay!
    Our Kringloopwinkels only have plastic necklaces and not even early plastic.;)

5. Dessert58

Ownedbybear and Any Jewelry, yes you are right, this could have been an earring!
    Didn't think of that
    I will wear it as is for now but it will get the repair it desperately needs eventually.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and PepperAnna like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks to me like there used to be enamel or some such in those empty spaces either side of the middle.

Dessert58, PepperAnna and antidiem like this.
  7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Nice find!
    It could have been a slide for a long chain-sautoir?

8. Emily Cornetet

Emily Cornetet New Member

Very pretty!! It looks like the stones could possibly be rubies. Only saying that because of the color and the fact that they don’t look abraded at all. Rubies and the same as sapphires and very hard. A 9 out of 10 on the Mohs scale. It could be a low carrot gold and the pearls look pretty real as well. Seems they’ve been protected well being seated down in those channels. Great find!

9. Dessert58

Kyratango, yes, a slide, that's the word I was looking for:shame:
    Could indeed well be.
    Emily Cornetet: Thanks for your comment. I tested the stones with my cheap diamond tester and the light didn't move at all. I would expect a harder stone to at least give me one or two stipes extra. So the stones are just paste, but beautiful none the less.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  10. kyratango

Try an UV torch, if the stones are rubies they will glow:blackalien: (synthetic too! But garnets or glass won't).

komokwa likes this.
  11. kyratango

Looking more closely, the dangling pearl is faux and a later add. The piece should hang upside down with a bale attached on the ring where the pearl is now:cyclops::)

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Well spotted, that is it.:happy:
    I think those are meant to be open. What you see now is the back of the pinback plate. Once that is removed, you will see an open heart shape, or if hung the other way around, an open lyre shape.:)

13. Dessert58

Kyratango, yes you are right, its upside down and the drop is a later addition.
    This should make a repair fairly easy though: just demolish the new brooch clasp, loose the drop and hang a new hook.

Any Jewelry,
    Yes, indeed, its meant to be open and you can just see the ugly new brooch pinback.

I tried the UV light but hélas, no glowing stones. :blackalien::blackalien::blackalien:

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

you so smart !!!! :kiss::kiss:
    with a great eye for detail !!;)

15. kyratango

Thank youuu!:kiss: Details are the clues for antiques, specially now when I hunt only from pics:pompous::cyclops::cyclops::joyful:

komokwa, Dessert58 and IvaPan like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Oh, well spotted kyra. And even more likely to have been an earring.

kyratango and Dessert58 like this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Too late to the party to add much, but I think it's upside-down too. Probably was an earring. A pendant of this type would have been attached to two pieces of chain so it couldn't slide. One hook means it was an earring.

Dessert58 and kyratango like this.
  18. Dessert58

Upside down or not, I m still happy with my single earring-to be transformed into pendant.:cat:
    Thank you all very much for your assistance and opinions!
    As I already said: its sometimes easier for me to identify other people's jewelry than it is with my own stuff.
    This forum is a never ending source of wisdom :joyful:

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted