Featured Egypt photo c1900 What do you think of the frame?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by John Brassey, Sep 20, 2021.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I bought this photo today. The photographic studio operated between 1897 and 1904 and I feel that the photo dates to that period. I bought it because I liked the oak frame which reminds me of an older coffer that we have.

Do you think this is an old frame or perhaps a hand made arts and crafts frame contemporary with the photo?

676C21EE-9576-406E-B363-598BB752AB99.jpeg 27843C51-A1CD-49A5-81ED-64D79696BBE0.jpeg 2E04ADCF-615E-4E65-832E-61FDE17BB832.jpeg 719BEAFA-6A9A-4493-B32A-1A3CD6A88C85.jpeg 2A5914CA-5CDB-496B-94A9-3697CC1253DC.jpeg B89B5D60-C06B-4656-8BBA-FEDFF9773E9D.jpeg

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

following, thanks

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting. I think I will just keep
    quiet and watch.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It looks hand carved to me and could date to the period of the photo (assuming it's an original print - albumen?). The pattern looks like it could have come out of one of the historic ornamentation books popular in the late 19th C. Could be home-made, though the mitering might be problematic.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great photo! Based on the woman's clothing, I think that date range is accurate. And the backing on the frame certainly looks old enough to be from that era.

You may want to do something to keep any wood from touching the cardboard mat upon which the photo is mounted. Wood causes discoloration and deterioration of paper.

Any Jewelry, Bakersgma, Tanya and 5 others like this.
  6. antidiem

totally agree, thanks MOS

I believe a hobbyist took a pre-existing oak frame and carved it.
    Then stained it with a rather poor mix of stain / coloration.

John Brassey and moreotherstuff like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Agreeing it’s a hand carved frame, just not sure as to it’s age… the staining job doesn’t look too pristine to me….JMHO!!

8. antidiem

If it was once a plain wood oak frame that was hand carved later, the corners would already have been mitered, but there would be significant wear on them, as there is. Also, the brown stain may not have flowed properly over the oak wood as a former frame, it may have been finished with varnish or shellac already.

The corners look professionally mitered, the carving and stain looks home made.
    All of which make it harder to date.

I have a couple of more 'typical' frames from the turn of the century that are similar, but were machine cut and the corners are still tight.

9. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Thank you

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I wonder if it might be "sheesham wood," commonly used for any number of items - boxes, picture frames - in the middle east.

John Brassey likes this.
  11. antidiem

Sorry, I just reread this and saw I typed the word "machine" instead of "mechanically" cut. I don't know how mine were cut, but the miters are tight.

These look worn from having been carved after the frame was assembled, and yes, that's what I think happened.

Any Jewelry and John Brassey like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Doesn't add anything, but I was watching a Fake or Fortune episode in which they were discussing a potential Constable sketch and, as part of a provenance search, they discussed 'Whiskey' Tom Dewar (of the Dewar's Scotch family) and showed this photo (screen capture):
    Whiskey Tom Dewar.jpg

(Maybe the camel cost extra.)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    antidiem, John Brassey and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted