Egyptian Horus Bird Statue

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by MML, Nov 7, 2018.

1. MML

MML Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. MML

MML Well-Known Member

Measures 6.5" tall, 2.25" wide and 4.25" deep.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a museum gift shop item, cast in resin...
    I would ignore the tag...

popsycat, aaroncab, stracci and 3 others like this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

17th Dynasty?
    Don

MML likes this.
  5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Resin cast, they may have put some soil in with the slate dust or coal dust with black pigment. I see the 17 but see the ‘jalc’ as symbols, the last one looks a bit like a bird to me.

stracci and MML like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is certainly a copy, but the one in the link could be a copy as well, just a stone one.
    I'm with Houseful, yours is resin mixed with a some stone dust. A bit like polystone, a polyester and stone mix.

Jalc could be Arabic script.
    Or a picture of a boat, 17 could mean it went up and down the Nile 17 times to test its durability.;)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    MML, Houseful and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. MML

MML Well-Known Member

Thank you all!

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  8. Ruby_Histoy

Ruby_Histoy New Member

Yes it is certainly a copy as I have the same sculpture at home. But mine is a bit worn out. I don't know where I got mine but it defiantly looks like stone. The pattern (hydrolithic like) indents are worn out and hard to read. But yours is a lot more shiner and newer and also your second picture of the 17 and some more hydrolithics does not appear on mine nor does it show any case of it rubbing away.

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I had this pharaoh figure made of resin. About 10 1/2" high and very heavy. It was signed A. Giannelli, and came from the Egregia Studio of Volterra, Italy.
    Egyptian Enthroned Pharoah Gianelli Italy Firgurine-a.jpg

10. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

I'm not familiar with all styles, but I volunteered at the Lost Cities of Egypt exhibit and learned a lot. Your Horus-as-falcon sculpture looks very modern. He is wearing the traditional crown of Upper and Lower Egypt (but without the usual Uranus/rearing cobra). Unification of the Delta and Nile River areas were very important. Here's a picture of a beautiful piece, very small. Most had a young Horus between the falcon's legs, under protection. This one was very popular. Great exhibit, by Franck Goddio who is still pulling artifacts out of the harbor each year.

Attached Files:

Houseful and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted