Egyptian jewelry mark - help please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by zsoka, Nov 30, 2019.

1. zsoka

zsoka New Member

Hi everyone, I have a pair of handmade earrings from Egypt and was wondering if you could help me figuring out what the marks on them mean.
    So far I understand it is 18k gold ('^) and the rest could refer to the town it was made in, but didn't find anything that could confirm this assumption not to say the place itself.
    Let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Definitely says 18, but having trouble seeing & interpreting the next mark. For Egypt the next one would usually be the national mark for gold, an ibis, & then a date letter, sometimes, on the right. Can't tell if your second mark is an ibis & I'm not seeing it; a date letter that I can't make out; or the ring is not Egyptian at all, although those neat little boxes sure look like their marks. I know it's tough, any chance of a better photo of the other mark?

3. Bronwen

City of the assay office normally looks like a squiggle or swoosh above the karatage mark, another thing I do not see here. Do you know the age of the ring? I'm used to looking at vintage pieces & contemporary marks may be more streamlined.

18kB.png

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree 18k, and the squiggle looks like it could be a year letter. Don't know which one, but if you bought the earrings in Egypt yourself, it could be for the year you bought them.

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Right. Earrings. I don't know if they are still putting date letters on; have never found a chart that goes past this one:

EgyptianDates3.jpg

hash tag: Egyptian date letters

6. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

@Bronwen - The date letter appears to be س which your chart shows as 1959 to 1961, as well as 2008 and 2009.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bronwen

The 4 from 1959 - 1975 & 2008 - 2009 can be really hard to tell apart because the little loops & dots end up as solid blobs & the only thing that's clear is the cup shape on the left. I'm squinting my eyes to see any of them here:

upload_2019-11-30_15-30-29.png

Not the ibis either:

Ibis 18k unreadable.png

Seeing an entire earring might give a clue to approximate age. Or might not. My guess is that they're relatively new.

shallow_ocean_spectre likes this.
  8. Michael Maestas

Michael Maestas New Member

I have a piece with the three defined boxes. The first is a couple hash marks. I’m thinking 18k. The second is a bird. Gold. The third is a “W”. Not sure how to date and price.

9. Michael Maestas

10. Michael Maestas

11. Michael Maestas

Has anyone seen before?

12. Michael Maestas

Draft saved Draft deleted