Featured Egyptian silver panel Bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Nick72, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Another nice little find this week, an Egyptian silver panel bracelet.
    Measures 6 3/4" long and 1 1/8" wide.
    Paid 13 Euros/20$ Canadian all In.

She was philty, should of seen the water after the dip and scrubdown.

Has hallmarks on the back ( on 2 panels),was able to decipher that it is from Cairo, is .800 Purity and has the Lotus which has become customary since 1946.

The date is the hardest to make up but the closest arabic symbol seems to steer me in the 1949/1951 range, it is slightly different but the closest of the bunch from the chart i found.

I still seem to think this is later than the date I think it is..
    Snug fit on my wife's wrist,not much play.Nice little piece weighing in at 52 Grams.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Very pretty ! But dip is death to silver,only use paste or cloths . Tarnex is the devils brew . :)

3. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

No dip Johnny...know better than that, i meant lots of dishwashing soap in hot water and working gently with a toothbrush after a couple of hours to release the Grime...no chemicals involved no worries ;)

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My mistake ! Carry on , Good Man . :)

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Whoa. I was getting nervous until Nick clarified what he meant by "dip."

I love this style of bracelet (although I never wear them.)

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Pharaonic Alphabet Bracelet style.

7. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Yeah Hollyblue...the whole darn 5 panels of that thing!!....any Hyeroglyph teachers on this site.. could be a cryptic message on those 5 panels, maybe a secret code LOL :rolleyes::pompous::bookworm::banghead::blackeye:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    kyratango likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is beautiful, Nick. It is commonly called a Wadjet or Eye of Horus bracelet, after the eye symbol.
    The Wadjet or Wedjat was the left eye of the God Horus, which he donated to his father Osiris so the latter could reach the afterlife safely. Quite a gift, he had already lost his other eye.:cyclops:
    The hieroglyphs are probably random.
    These were already made at the date you mentioned, so you could have the right date.

Kathy Anderson and Nick72 like this.
  9. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Thank you Any for the little Egyptian Mythology lesson ;). Yes for sure the Hyerogliphs are random...I was just being silly in my last message.
    Thanks for chiming in for the date, so you say these were produced at that time already then the hallmark makes more sense, i was under the impression that this style only started in the 1960's.

Kathy Anderson and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

I have seen similar bracelets from the 1930s, and I wouldn't be surprised if they started making these pretty soon after the tomb of King Tut was discovered.;)

Kathy Anderson and Nick72 like this.
  11. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Think about being the one discovering that back in 1922.....Lord, that would of been enough to give me a heart attack of joy and awe!!:)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

It would!
    I saw a documentary on the Sutton Hoo Treasure (Anglo Saxon) the other day. Finding that would have given me even more of a heart attack, but then I love early Medieval European jewellery.

This is part of the treasure:

[​IMG]

13. Nick72

Nick72 Well-Known Member

Yes Any, a sublime find, some of the artifacts found are stunning...that would most likely give me a heart attack. My wife is off to London next week and will surely not miss going to see these treasures in Room 41 of the BM ;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Oooh, lucky lady! Wish her a good time from me.:)

Nick72 likes this.
  15. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

What a wonderful, wonderful thread, you guys. Love the bracelet, love the history, love the comparators. Yum!

Nick72 and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Forgot to say, I saw it too. It is stunning, and all those red pieces are real garnets, all the way from India. A lot of the jewellery and components point to extensive contacts with the rest of the Old World, trade and otherwise.

Pommel and other sword ornaments, the little pyramid shapes even have a tiny chequer board design on top:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kathy Anderson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted