Egyptian Ushabtu, please help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Dre, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Dre

Dre New Member

20211129_231050.jpg 20211129_231056.jpg Hello everyone. Thanks for viewing this post :)

I had purchased this statue, togethrr with another item, from an auction in Malta around 8 years ago. The item was from a personal collection and the description was "Egyptian Ushabtu" and it cost me EUR110.

I have always wondered if it could be authentic and if yes, what the figure represented and approximately what era. Frommy research, Ushabtus were used in tombs, thought to be servants for the burried person. How can I get the hwiroglyphs translated?

Any infiormation will be very welcome!
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2021
  2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

If you have a local museum with an Egyptian antiquities dept I would contact them about identifying your items. They are usually pretty helpful as they love their subject. These items usually need to be handled to determine if they are authentic, it’s difficult from just a photo.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If you are in Malta, and since Malta has no museum department specialized in Egyptian archaeology, it is probably best to contact a museum abroad.
    The British Museum for instance, which has the most important Egyptian collection outside Egypt.
    This is the email address of their Egypt and Sudan department:
    egyptian@britishmuseum.org

Will you let us know what they say? We always love to learn more.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted