Eisnehower Dollar

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by flipper, Apr 25, 2020.

1. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I found an old (not super impressive) metal belt buckle with a coin in the center that has a 1971 "D" stamp on it. It is an Eisenhower silver dollar. In looking around some of these are commanding outrageously high prices (1974?) and I am wondering why...and if I, too, have something special. Please tag the coin pros, as I cannot remember who to ask.
    All comments welcome.
    Thank you

front.jpg back.jpg

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  2. flipper

Oops...the Edit button did not seem to include the title:rolleyes:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. R Ewing

R Ewing EclecticMomsAttic

I collect Western belt buckles, they are very popular and you don't find them at estate sales very often (unless they're priced real high) because they always get snapped up fast. They are little works of art. (The belt buckle display at the Reagan Library is a great example of the Americana appeal - everyone likes looking at these). This one you have has some nice detail so it's appealing without even considering the coin which makes it all the more fun. Nice find! You should wear it a few times before you sell it. :)

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. flipper

Could you tell me about the Eisenhower Dollar? The one from 1974 "D" seemed like it was very special?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

The coin itself in your Buckle is a run of the mill IKE. Some were made of 90% Silver, but your's isn't one of those.
    So no fear of accidentally selling a high value coin.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The 74D was copper/nickel, however some 74D's in silver clad (40% silver) were were made in error.
    Your Dollar looks non silver.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Here is a little info on the 1974 Ike .

1974 marked the resumption of Eisenhower dollar coin production for circulation. After a robust output of a combined 285 million coins in 1971 and 1972, the Mint limited production of the unwieldy denomination in 1973 to coins for the 1973 Uncirculated Coin Set.

The Treasury must have anticipated increased demand for the coin in the leadup to the Bicentennial and in 1974, 27,366,000 Eisenhower dollars were produced by the Philadelphia Mint and 45,517,000 were struck in Denver.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I never buy coins with COA but this one came in a job lot.
    You can see which has the silver content.

20200425_220610.jpg
    20200425_220721.jpg

20200425_220837.jpg

9. flipper

Thanks, guys!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. flipper

@R Ewing I have a few more belt buckles that I have already looked up. One is the Maya calendar in "Alpaca Silver" and a Maya calendar from Bergamot Brass Works. I also have one from Copper Bell....so you can totally see why I would have this Eisenhower buckle, right? :joyful:

P.S. I haven't really learned how to sell things yet. So, the buckle is definitely safe with me for a while.:joyful:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maya calendars are extremely complex and are not generally replicated in popular items.
    You probably mean the famous Aztec Sun Stone aka Aztec Calendar:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  12. flipper

That is it. I looked and it said Maya calendar (?)...so, of course, I figured I was wrong, even though I had thought of it as an Aztec calendar most of my life... and used that word, Maya, in hopes of not making yet another mistake in identification. For some strange reason, I have been a bit tentative in saying just about anything these days...
    Thank you for the correction.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Anytime.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020