Featured Electrified Model 9 Aladdin lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Chris1948, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

DSC07127.JPG DSC07124.JPG DSC07372.JPG We found this Model 9 Aladdin oil lamp that had been converted to electric at our favorite antique store in Galveston, Tx. The lamp came with the shade as in the first photo however the shade is 13 5/16" wide and the lamp has a 14" shade tripod. The lamp came complete with the chimney with the Aladdin logo etch into it. My wife put her artistic talent to work and repainted the shade and I replaced the socket. Since Aladdin only has the 10" and 14" shade tripods it doesn't quite fit into all three of the groves as you can see in the 3rd photo. I saw several more Aladdin lamps on our most recent visit down there however none were in as good shape as this one was. This lamp, originally oil, was made between 1920-1922.

2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I collect and repair Alladin and Rayo lamps. Your shade not fitting is easily fixed be manually bending the shade fingers UP to a point where the shade fits evenly. Your lamp is beautiful and tell your wife she did a wonderful job on painting that shade!!!!! I found that Rayo uses that type of shade holders, Alladin usually has shade rings.
    Here's a few that turned out so good I had to keep them: (disregard the dust -:nailbiting:
    000_6879.jpg 000_6880.jpg 000_6881.jpg

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What a nice collection of lamps, my best friend calls that "frosted" not dusty ! :)

4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I just call it my "new kind of pet" - it doesn't bother me, don't have to feed it, never gets out of the house and screws the neighbors dust where I have to pay for the off spring, and you get used to it like an ugly dog that is so good otherwise!!

5. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Very nice collection. This is the photo of when I first got it. You mean to bend up all three fingers evenly until the shade fits correctly, am I right?
    DSC07122.JPG

Joshua Brown and KingofThings like this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Indeed!! Shade fingers have "drooped" over the years!

7. Chris1948

Chris1948 Active Member

Thanks Rayo, I'll give that a try and keep my fingers crossed.

Joshua Brown and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted