Electrified Porthole Clock - does anyone recognize it?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gimbler-dave, Dec 14, 2014.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

Does anyone recognize where this clock came from? It appears to me that someone took a mechanical clock and electrified it. A ring near the top of the face has tick marks for "seconds", plus numbers 15,30,45,60 -- I'm thinking this originally rotated, but has now been replaced by a second hand. There is a hole below the hands that is unused -- possibly for winding prior to electrification? The back of the case just has a number "2333277", but no manufacturer ID. Any thoughts? Thanks! ... Dave
    db_porthole_1.JPG
    db_porthole_2.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if the guts have been cleaned out it may be impossible to identify.
    but should be salable as a nautical novelty.

3. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

Thanks -- I am working on an eBay listing for it now, and it should be up tonight. If the movement was easier to get to, I would take a look at it for identifying marks, but it looks like a fair amount of work to get the hands and face off (and sometimes on vintage items it is best to leave it alone). One big puzzle, the slot for the (no longer existing) speed adjustment is marked "V" on the left/slow side, and "N" on the right/fast side, making me wonder if the origin of the original was not english.

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

With the bezel open there should be three or four screws outside the chapter ring that hold both dial and movement in place, the movement has been affixed to the back of the dial and will come away with it. I'd call it a bulkhead clock or a ship's clock, not a porthole clock. The mounting lugs appear to have been added, probably when it was gutted.
    N and V may be Dutch.
    Do not have high hopes for it.

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

There is a manufacturer of clocks like this called Schatz or something. It's German, and has been around for a while. I have one of their modern ship's clocks hanging on my wall (it's nice and big, so I can tell the time at a distance). But this doesn't look like anything produced by that company.

That number on the back may not be the serial number. Just a part-number. Keep that in mind if you try and look it up.

Draft saved Draft deleted