Elegant etched crystal bell - Tiffin Cerice etch? 7-ball stem?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Feb 22, 2021.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I think this is one of those bells that Replacements Ltd. makes from goblets that have been damaged. I believe the pattern is Tiffin Cerice. Tiffin did have a blank (15082) with a ball stem but my reference doesn't show it being used with Cerice. Also, the sides of the bowl are straight & not flared. :confused::confused:

Does anybody have any thoughts?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!! :happy::happy: :kiss::kiss:

Any Jewelry and Darkwing Manor like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Did Imperial make a bell in Candlewick pattern?

4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Yes, but not with this many balls. Didn't Bryce make a ball stem goblet too? I'll check around. I think I have something here somewhere.

laura9797 likes this.
  5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

chatabout dg does have a 15082 stem bell with a different bowl and etch. You might scroll thru the Tiffin glass at "R" to se if you spot your bowl shape, as they usually categorize by etch design.

Glass Etch and Pattern Gallery (chataboutdg.com)

[​IMG]

can't quite make out the etch in your photos but chataboutdg forum IDs this as Cerise
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    laura9797 likes this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I had no idea R is making "bells" out of damaged goblets!!
    :chicken::clown::greedy::greedy::greedy:

*Does it have a clacker?

laura9797 likes this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Yes, they can use the type that glue into the bottom of the goblet while the original probably had a glass hook to snag the clapper.

laura9797 and antidiem like this.
  8. antidiem

Thank you, Ola :joyful:

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Ok, this could be wrong, but consider . . . The etch might be Cherokee Rose. The glassmakers frequently put an abbreviated version of the etch on smaller pieces. Also, there was a Table Bell made by Tiffin, the #9742, with Cherokee Rose etch that in my book looks like this bell. Peggy, is this a full sized goblet or maybe a smaller wine or cordial?

Oh, I see what you mean, no clapper in this bell. But again, if you can find a glue in one, then you could give it a clapper. Whenever I have fugly bells, I remove the clappers and hold onto them to put in pretty bells. Do it all the time.

antidiem and laura9797 like this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

BTW, I think your pattern is Cerise.

I'm getting the impression that Tiffin made table bells in any etch on the 9700 blanks, regardless of the blank the stemware was on. And they seemed to use the #9742 frequently (with 7 beads). There was also a #9743 but it had only 6 beads.

antidiem and laura9797 like this.
  11. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Marie Forjan / @laura9797 / @ola402 / @TallCakes / @antidiem

Thanks for all of the help with this bell!!! :kiss::kiss: :happy::happy:

I think this may have been considered a sherry goblet or a cocktail. It is only 5 7/8" tall & it would have only held about 2 1/2 ounces.

Replacements Ltd. does repurpose many items to make other things. If you look through their site at the end of most of the listings you will see some of the items they do such as clocks from plates, tiered serving dishes from plates, candle holders from glassware & serving utensils that they match with a handle from your pattern.

This piece does not have its clapper. It was glued in there & those are notorious for coming loose.

I think I figured out why I could not find a match for this piece. I was using the word "ball" to describe the handle & in this case, they used the word "beaded". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think that is what frustrates me the most when trying to search their site. There is absolutely zero consistency when it comes to how they describe something. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Anyway, I took TallCakes suggestion & searched for "tiffin bell" & found the one below.

This one shows the correct handle.

https://www.replacements.com/crystal-tiffin-franciscan-cerice-stem-15071-bell/p/106132821

This one shows the correct bowl.

https://www.replacements.com/crystal-tiffin-franciscan-cerice-stem-15071-bell/p/9793071

Thanks again, everyone!! :happy::happy: :kiss:

antidiem, laura9797 and TallCakes like this.
  12. antidiem

I will take a look next time I am there, thank you Peggy :smug::smuggrin:

bercrystal likes this.
  13. antidiem

Thank you, Ola, for the suggestion, it's a good one :smug::smuggrin:

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted