Featured Elio Huergo Lithograph

Discussion in 'Art' started by billyd3us, Aug 22, 2017.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I bought this early this morning from my local thrift store. I have been searching on and off all day until now to try and find this artist, no luck.
    sometimes people search better than I do, I hope he is a listed artist.
    Does anyone know this artist or ever heard of him ?

Thank You

Billy D. 001.JPG 003.JPG

2. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

I can't find anything about this print but I think this may be related to "The Elio Huergo Collection" which is somehow affiliated with art. :)

Ghopper1924, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

If Elio Huergo Gomez is the same (the work LOOKS like his) painter he was Cuban (exiled) and died somewhere around 2000. I think his wife is still alive, but I don't remember her name...................sorry...............

4. billyd3us

Thanks Mansons, I appreciate your help.

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

If this IS the same guy, he was born in 1940 & died in 1997. He was exiled from Cuba, apparently lived for a time in Panama, and went on to study at the Art Institute of Chicago.

6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

That's the person I was thinking of...................

7. billyd3us

Oh cool. Thank You

8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Random knowledge: should we call them Lithographs or Serigraphs? If you touch the print with your nail and you can feel the paint is somewhat thick over top of the paper, you likely have a serigraph. If you do the same thing and the paint feels thin or directly on the paper rather than on top of the paper, it's likely a lithograph.

9. billyd3us

Thanks Nate, good to know that.

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. Juli Clark

Juli Clark New Member

11. Juli Clark

Juli Clark New Member

I knew a man by that name in Tampa, Fla in 1974. I had a small painting of his until we had a house fire in 1996 & lost everything. My picture looked similar to yours.

Chad Tower likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

As you're asking for help in identifying your work, is there a reason why you didn't post a close-up photograph of what appears to be the title? That would be the greatest help in identification.

Debora

13. James Jean

James Jean New Member

I have copies of this Lithograph with a certificate of Authenticity.

anundverkaufen and i need help like this.
  14. James Jean

James Jean New Member

The title of that painting is Celebration Deep in the Cuban Country Circa 1952

i need help likes this.
  15. Chad Tower

Chad Tower New Member

Juli, I have a small oil painting with his name on it and a signature "To Chad, May 2/75 Elio Huergo Gomez"

FWIW I lived in Tampa in 1975.

16. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

@Chad Tower. Juli hasn't visited this site since May 2019. Perhaps you might try a personal message if you expect an answer.

Chad Tower likes this.
  17. Chad Tower

Chad Tower New Member

Thanks for the tip. :) I'll do that.

18. Jesús Elio Huergo Gómez el autor de esa pintura, de la que usted adquirirá esa serigrafía, que conmemora la celebración del 20 de mayo en una zona rural de Cuba. Nació en el Cerro, La Habana, Cuba, el 19 de junio de 1936 y murió en la Florida en 1997. Fue el tercer hijo del matrimonio de Rufino Huergo Sánchez, de origen asturiano, y Nieves Gómez Martinez, cubana. Estudio en la Academia San Alejandro. Fue un pintor activo en Cuba y en los Estados Unidos. Emigró a Panamá y después viajó a Estados Unidos para estudiar en el Instituto de Arte de Chicago. Parte de sus cuadros originales, entre ellos del que compraron la serigrafía, los conserva su hermana. Me honro de ser su sobrino.

mirana, verybrad and moreotherstuff like this.
  19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Jesús Elio Huergo Gómez the author of that painting, of which you will acquire that screen print, which commemorates the celebration of May 20 in a rural area of Cuba. He was born in El Cerro, Havana, Cuba, on June 19, 1936 and died in Florida in 1997. He was the third child of the marriage of Rufino Huergo Sánchez, of Asturian origin, and Nieves Gómez Martinez, Cuban. I study at the San Alejandro Academy. He was an active painter in Cuba and in the United States. He emigrated to Panama and later traveled to the United States to study at the Art Institute of Chicago. Part of his original paintings, including the one from which they bought the serigraphy, are kept by his sister. I am honored to be your nephew.

Draft saved Draft deleted