Featured Embroidered Chinese, vintage -- hand done?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lucille.b, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I think you call these doilies. Frames are clearly vintage, the back labels have no area code and a real 60s/70s looking foil label from Pasadena, CA.

I struggled with whether or not to pick them up at the thrift ($5 each) because some of this Chinese embroidery doesn't have much resale value.

I guess my thought was that they were framed around 50 years ago, does this mean that the embroidery was hand done? Machine done?

One cool thing about the framing, is that it displays 45 degrees to be a diamond shape--definitely a vintage look. They might have some resale based on the framing, but mostly asking about the embroidery here. Thanks!

do1.jpg

do2.jpg

do3.jpg

do7.jpg
    do6a.jpg

do99.jpg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Figtree3, Lucille.b and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks, Kiko. :) I saw that RL one unsold at $15 (actually where I borrowed the term "doily") I didn't know if mine were the same vintage. I seem some differences, mine has that filled-in solid stitching on the edges, but could be from the same era. My first thought was mine were machine done so that wouldn't be a shocker --are any of these round or doily styles worth more than $10-15 resale do you think? I actually had a hard time finding round ones online. This RL one was the only one I found which seemed weird.

Thanks for taking a look!

pearlsnblume and Figtree3 like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

Lucille,

Those pieces were everywhere for a while. I see them occasionally in thrifts nowadays but yours are artfully framed. Perhaps a little more than $10-15.
    Kiko

5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

The great thing about eBay or wherever is that you can ask anything you want. For common objects you aren’t going to be able to outprice the competition by too much unless you have a strong following that will buy your stuff without checking elsewhere. For less common objects or objects with an uncommon modification and/or provenance (your gallery frames) you can name your price. It doesn’t mean they will sell but if you only ask $15 that’s all you can get. If you ask $40 you may get it because someone likes the frames and vintage CA stuff is cool. I find it amazing the prices I get for stuff sometimes. I just price high and see what happens and it works a good deal of the time. For one of a kind or rare items you get to set the market. If they are cool and unique someone will eventually come around quite often. I don’t know anything about these or how common they are but they have a nice little look and someone may like them. If something has a listing title that people commonly use sometimes I title mine differently without being dishonest so that if they search for others a bunch of them don’t show up. You can get creative with wording and not use common keywords while still honestly describing an item so that it might seem less common based on common search terms. If that makes sense. Just a couple cents.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent advice. I have too much stuff, so rather than redonating that I have done in the past, I am trying to sell some of the better things. I spend most of my time trying to get good information. I am only on Marketplace, but I have some better stuff like Tiffany Jewelry that I want to reach a broader audience. I am trying to master selling before I make a step up. Thank you.

Born2it, J Dagger and Potteryplease like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted