Featured Emily Who?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by morgen94, Mar 20, 2021.

1. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

I am trying to transcribe the last name of 12-year-old Emily, who stitched this Hibernia piece. I tried researching an Emily Belletta, born ca. 1817 from the UK ("Far westward lies an isle of ancient fame...Hibernia is her name"). I found no one who met that criteria. Can you help?
    HiberniaSamplerSmlr.jpg

HiberniaSamplerSignatureLine.jpg

HiberniaSamplerEmilyClose.jpg

Thank you!

patd8643, stracci, judy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Have you tried other first initials for her last name? Like an R or a D?

3. morgen94

I tried the R, but didn't try the D because it doesn't look like her D in "Domini," but a good researcher (as you are) wouldn't have dismissed that so easily, would they? Thanks for the poke!

4. Bakersgma

Tried Dolletta and Ancestry changed it to Dallett. There's a Emily Elizabeth Dallett, born approx 1816.

5. Bakersgma

There's an Emily Elizabeth Dallett, born about 1816, who married in May 1837 in Croydon, Surrey

6. morgen94

Fabulous! Thank you so much for that!

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Her married name was Blyth.

morgen94 likes this.
  8. Vinny2

Vinny2 Member

Hibernia is a poetic name for Ireland, hence the line about “no scaley snake creeps through the grass”. Tradition says St Patrick rid the island of snakes but there may never have been any there at all.

Try researching Belletta in Irish genealogies. UK would only include NI.

9. Vinny2

Vinny2 Member

Ah I see! Hibernia is to the west. Ignore me. :D
    However it is worth noting that this is a poem (slightly reworded) by an Irish bishop who wrote it after becoming bishop in Italy.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I would appreciate seeing a close up photo of the name, what you've provided just seems to be a cropped/zoomed bit of your full photo so it's rather out of focus. That said, I'm leaning toward the first letter of Emily's last name being an R.

11. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Great piece! I'm leaning toward her last name as being an R also.

However, my mother the genealogist always said that misspellings were so SO common! That said, it could be Beletta, Dalletta, or Dallet... or anything thing sorta close. Between the uneducated, who may or may not have known how to spell their own name, to the church clerk or the magistrate whom may have recorded such info and spelled it the way they heard it, to illegible handwriting... things did get written down wrong.

Anyway... fun piece and fun to research!
    Thanks for sharing!

Cheerio, Leslie

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's KELLETT I reckon. Common name here.

13. Vinny2

Vinny2 Member

I was wondering about the MEW to the right of the poem title as well. Just lettering practice?

14. morgen94

I am so sorry I just now saw your kind replies. Preparatory to a move no later than the end of this year we are slowly trying to clear out my lifetime accumulation of "stuff." half of my mother's extensive estate, some of my mother-in-law's estate, much of my brother-in-law's estate, and a bit of my husband's uncle's estate. I have little doubt I will be dead before I ever get through all this, but I keep trying--and that is where my attention is directed now.
    We have access to the house to which we are moving and I took the Hibernia needlework there. We go there once or twice a week, though, so I will try to remember to take closer photos of the name and the MEW.
    Thank you!

Vinny2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted