Empire dresser-how old and what's it worth?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by julie12345, Jul 16, 2017.

1. julie12345

julie12345 New Member

Hi, I have this empire dresser and wondering when it might have been made. I've been told 1860s but I'm not sure. I'm also wondering what sort of price range this is worth. The veneer is in really good condition with some minor scratches. One drawer was broken when we got it, but has since been fixed and now functions. I would say it's in good condition overall, and the veneer is in very good condition. Thanks for any help you can give!

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I could see that as 1850s-60s,Brad will know for sure. Unfortunately,stuff like this isnt bringing much these days. :( Its a lovely piece.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Very nice, Joy.

judy likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Pretty piece. The market for old brown wood is pretty slow around here. It's worth a lot more than you can get at the moment.

James Conrad and judy like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Lovely piece.
    Keep it. Values have dropped. Young people are just starting to get interested, I'm seeing more and more wandering through antique stores.
    It won't be tomorrow, but I'm hoping in the next few years they will have an appreciation for furniture better than IKEA.

upload_2017-7-16_12-7-21.jpeg

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Well actually, this really isn't American Empire, although it's often referred that way, it's "late classical" and many refer to it as "pillar & scroll" or "empire revival". Late Classical has all the curves of empire, just none of the carving, carved animal/beast feet or gilded elements that true american empire has.
    It's very confusing in a way as these styles in america lasted for over 100 years, roughly from 1800-1900. Here is a pic of american empire, attributed to duncan phyfe.
    duncan-phyfe-empire-table.jpg

For a a very good description of the differences between these styles in america, i turn it over to Hollie Davis, who writes a column at MAD and offered up this on another forum. She explains it better than i can.

http://rarevictorian.com/2009/06/empire-furniture-isnt-always-empire-furniture.html

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  7. James Conrad

Having said all that, i agree with others that american antique furniture of almost any style or period is a tough sell these days. As for current value, Brad and others will be along to give you prices in their markets, generally speaking, it ain't good news.
    It is a very nice example of a period late classical dresser with book matched mahogany veneer drawer fronts.

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Had the identical dresser for years. Sold it in 2008 for 60 dollars.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    It was a heart break to sell it but no room when I moved. Brown furniture is stone cold right now. I am hoping it will start moving again. Use it and hope prices will go back up. I should have sold it in 2000 I was offered 600 dollars for it.
    greg

James Conrad likes this.
  9. James Conrad

YIKES @ Sold it in 2008 for 60 dollars

Jesus, you could not buy the lumber for that!
    It makes a big difference WHERE you sell as well, New Orleans for instance has many homes in the Garden District where late classical period furniture fits in very well with the houses there and sells for more than say Dallas Tx.

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Great article on the differences in the styles. I have always made a distinction between French empire and American, believing the late classical furniture to be an American variant. As the article suggests, there just isn't much true American empire furniture out there. It is time to correct the nomenclature and this article goes one step toward doing so. I will endeavor to do my part moving forward.

Here in semi-rural Midwest. You would generally see a chest like this in the $150-200.00 range in a shop. I would be tempted to price this just a tad more given the beautiful condition.

11. James Conrad

there just isn't much true American empire furniture out there

Agreed, the reason for that i suspect is, American Empire was very expensive, it was pretty much entirely hand made and required wood carvers, gilded surfaces and each piece was unique. Late Classical on the other hand was mostly machine made, very affordable with a similar "look" to empire while also making it available to everyone. Late Classical was a smash hit in it's day and it's day lasted a long time in america.

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    That year was HORRIBLE for everything. I usually had two large yard sales a year. Cleared between 2k and 5k every sale. The last one in 2008 I made 625 dollars. 90% went to donations. My mint condition cookie jars sold for 50+ bucks. The 2008 sale I was offered 5 dollars each for them.:eek:. That was the last year for eBay sales also. It was ridiculous I would sell a 35 dollar vase for 10 bucks. Shipping was even worse. In the past a vase would ship to California from New Jersey around 10-11 dollars. In 2008 the same vase would cost 21 bucks. I shut down business and moved. The sales here were even worse, I would go to 10 sales and pick up one or two items. Then with shipping I was losing money. The last straw was I bought a solid teak adjustable dining room table for 25 dollars and sold it after three months for 20 bucks. Will the tide ever turn??????? Thanks for letting me ventilate.
    greg

13. James Conrad

LOL, oh dear, tough day at black rock! Will the tide ever turn? YES! but i don't know when! In addition to being out of fashion, old furniture has another problem.
    There is an OCEAN of product available on the middle market which is 80% of the antique furniture market. Boomers that are retiring by the millions and down sizing and selling their pieces are often shocked that the antique furniture they bought in the 1960-1980 era is worth much much less than they paid for it back then.
    Bottom line? It's going to take time for that ocean of inventory that's floating around to get sold off, how much time? I don't have a clue.

Naturally, the top 5% of the market still commands big numbers & the bottom 15% (junk) always sells well but the middle market? No go, it just ain't happening now.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    verybrad likes this.
  14. julie12345

julie12345 New Member

Thank you everyone for your responses, I really appreciate it. This has been very helpful and an education for me for sure!

komokwa likes this.
  15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And, Julie, I think your PRISTINE dresser is just GORGEOUS!!!!!!! If I were you, I'd hang on to it, if you can!!!

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not as much as it would once have got, but I could see that at £200 to £300 in London. Nice thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted