Empoli vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Elle, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Elle

Elle New Member

Picked up this nice little blue vase, thinking maybe it is a cased glass Empoli vase? But I am far from an expert, any opinions or advice on how to confirm this would be appreciated!
    It measures 7" tall, 3" across at the widest part. It has an imperfect top lip, not chipped just unevenly formed. You can feel the slight ridges from the swirl pattern on the inside but the exterior is glossy and smooth.
    empoli5.JPG empoli4.JPG empoli3.JPG empoli2.JPG empoli.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

POssibly, but I suspect more likely Japanese.

judy, Jaena, Elle and 3 others like this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I agree with owned. I think it's something about the thickness of the clear coat that me.
    Don

judy, Jaena and Elle like this.
  4. Elle

Elle New Member

Thank you for your reply! What makes you lean towards Japanese? What era would you say this is from?
    Any info is helpful at this point, Iā€™m quite new to identifying things like this but I am very interested in it :)

judy and Jaena like this.
  5. Elle

Elle New Member

Hi Don!
    Would you say Italian glass of this style has a thinner, more delicate look to it? I did notice that thickness you mentioned, especially around the base. Thanks for your input!

judy and Jaena like this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Elle - there are always exceptions but, yes, I would expect Empoli to be a bit more delicate - in both design and execution. Also notice the uneven lip. It all adds up to an Empoli look-a-like in my opinion.
    Don

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

What @dgbjwc said. Empoli is more fragile, and that white casing looks Japanese. Nothing wrong with that, either, it's becoming more appreciated.

8. Elle

Elle New Member

Thank you both very much for all the information, hopefully I can find a true Empoli piece at some point and see these differences first hand. I did think the flaw at the lip was a bit dubious, but I still think it's a pretty little vase and for only $1 it was worth the lesson!

judy, dgbjwc and Jaena like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted