Featured Enamel bangle

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, May 16, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Is this style of enamelled bangle datable please? Or is it indicative of a particular country?
    The gold decoration appears to be under the top glaze as you can’t feel any raised areas. Underneath you can see the ridges on the metal through thin areas of enamel.
    Thankyou :)
    1FBD47EA-798F-43CC-93D7-1AD505E1ADD3.jpeg 61DF03BA-C651-463C-839D-19A935F898D9.jpeg D55EEF37-6EB5-41A7-97B5-221AC289F0AB.jpeg 8182106C-779F-47B7-B929-DE6292208D19.jpeg

Xristina, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very pretty, KSW. It looks Austrian, but I could be wrong.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

What leads you to think Austrian, the flowers or the construction?
    It just struck me as slightly unusual in that there seems to be a clear glaze over it. The other enamel bits I've got don't have that. Obviously not high quality as the metal is showing though!.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Xristina and i need help like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Austria manufactures a lot of thin enameled brass bangles with floral decorations.
    But the ones I've seen are generally hand painted enamel. It is difficult to see if your flowers are enamel or brass.
    If they are brass, it would be a form of champlevé enamel, and possibly not Austrian. But then again, there is wear to the flowers as well, so possibly painted?
    :confused::confused::confused:

i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'd assumes the flowers were gold paint but now you say it , Ive looked again and I think they are brass as you can see linear marks in the metal. What looks like wear is where the cream enamel has overflowed over the brass (a 5pm bangle!:hilarious:). Off to google champlevé.....

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It is difficult to tell, it looks like the enamel was washed over a raised design to me.

Any Jewelry, antidiem and KSW like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I remember those. Late 1970s/early 1980s.

Debora

antidiem, i need help and KSW like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've seen similar Italian ones - Laurana, but this ain't that. The brass is bare, and the Austrians generally enameled the backs/insides as did the Italians. So ... dunno.

KSW and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted