Enamel picture in frame 1977... signature??

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lucille.b, Jun 3, 2023.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Can anyone make out this signature? Enamel has damage in a spot on the bottom, so was hoping if possible to see if this artist can be found so I can see if it might have resale value, even with the damage. Outer frame 18: x 15". Thank you for your help with this. (Quickly took the photo and got reflection on the top of photo #1)

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg
    This info is on the back of the frame:

pic3.jpg

Any Jewelry and lovewrens like this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Had no luck with the signature, but found a little bit about the gallery mentioned on the label. Not sure if it will be much help.

This paragraph is translated automatically into English from a Dutch page:

Gallery New Rotterdams Peil
    "The group Nieuw Rotterdams Peil (NRP) was a collective of four artists. These artists mainly wanted to promote Rotterdam art. They have had no shelter since 1975. In 1978 they got a building on the Eendrachtsweg. In 1980 the gallery was housed in the building of Het Vrije Volk. In 1983 the gallery moved to Oostplein, number 158 and in 1984 to number 155. In 1990 the name was changed to Galerie Nieuw Rotterdams Peil/De Brieder and the gallery was located at Oostplein, number 150. Galerie NRP/De Brieder became led by Joke de Brieder and Willem van Hest. From 1992 the gallery continued under the name Galerie De Brieder (Collection PDO)."
    https://rkd.nl/nl/explore/artists/455090

I wonder whether @Any Jewelry or other members living in the Netherlands can help with this?

3. Lucille.b

Wow, great info Fig. Thank you!

Figtree3, Boland and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. Lucille.b

@Any Jewelry @Dessert58 Any ideas on the artist's (possibly) Dutch last name? It is interesting the back in in French, maybe a Belgian name?

I'm on the fence about returning this. The frame appears to be custom made for the piece, perhaps by the artist. But with that damage, it's got to be some collected artist I think if someone is going to buy it.

Thanks for any additional help on that last name! :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I couldn't find the signature among known Rotterdam artists, so it could be by a non-Rotterdam artist.
    The collective no longer exists, and the only name that I can find that could be connected with them is Joke de Brieder. I only found a phone number for her.

The Rotterdam art scene in those days was pretty much the same as the one in my town, both with an industrial background and many new art initiatives. I worked in a gallery in the 80s, but couldn't even tell you how many art initiatives and collectives there were in my town, only that there were many. We were always visiting new exhibitions, sometimes small, and in unusual places. Rotterdam was pretty much the same.
    We also had foreign artists exhibit for a while, often in group exhibitions, that could have been the same with Nieuw Rotterdams Peil.

Frankly, if you were to ask me now to name everyone who exhibited with us, I could only name about 20%.
    I don't even know what it says, is it P. Paslanet?:confused: Doesn't sound Dutch, Belgian or French.

Dessert58, Figtree3 and Lucille.b like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Thank you for taking a look. I thought maybe I was missing some obvious answer with that last name. I can't make head's or tails out of it either.

It was from a thrift that allows returns, with the damage and no known artist, may give that some thought. It's kind of a cool piece, but not sure what you could do about that issue on the bottom.

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is certainly a nice piece, but damage is damage.:(

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

I read 'Flaglanet 77'
    Don't know him, and indeed damage is damage

Figtree3, Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

F. Paclanet to my eye..

10. Lucille.b

Thank you Dessert and Komokwa for taking a look!

Dessert58 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted