Featured Enamel Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Daniel G, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Daniel G

Daniel G Well-Known Member

This is up for sale and I really like it but not sure on the background. Any thoughts on this lovely enamel plate? I see the sotheby’s sticker on the back but cannot find the past catalog listing this as lot 838. Japanese?

36CFC1E8-615D-47D5-A4F7-D1AF73599E29.jpeg D79A1CED-BB69-4F46-AE46-AC75EDD2EC90.jpeg 58284C99-009B-4AF8-9E6B-C4307BFCAC99.jpeg 68C8733F-249D-40A3-918D-7ABA517A489E.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The flowers are peonies and with all that bamboo, I think I would go Chinese. Could be wrong, but that's all we've got to hang our hats on. (Plus the rock in the foreground is also Chinese style.)

Any Jewelry and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Someone here just contacted Christie's and got information about a former auction item. Suggest you do same with Sotheby's.

Debora

yourturntoloveit and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Daniel G

Good point, baker! The bamboo should have been a clear clue! Would not have recognized the peonies though. Thank you!

yourturntoloveit, judy and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Daniel G

Thanks Debora. I didn’t know if they would be willing to investigate but if Christies did.....

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Never, ever hurts to ask.

Debora

7. Daniel G

Any idea what the main bird is?

8. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Main bird is a phoenix which is traditional in Chinese decor - the palette looks to be famille rose.

9. Daniel G

Thanks Laura. I thought famille rose once baker suggested chinese. I did not know that was a phoenix though. Fair to say that this would have some value? Appears to be well done. Thoughts on age?

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If it was sold by Sotheby's, then it will have certainly had value, they don't do cheap.

11. Daniel G

Does that tag “x 10” suggest it was one of a set of ten though?

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Possibly, but auction houses have their own codes.

yourturntoloveit and Daniel G like this.
  13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This is called Canton enamel, Chinese of course.

trip98 likes this.
  14. Daniel G

Thanks blooey. Care to hazard a guess on age?

15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

mmm ..dunno. I've seen that green counter enameling on other pieces that were c.1900 -ish but in this case the quality is so high it could be any date - I guess what I'm saying is I haven't handled enough of these pieces to know exactly when this was made.

My intuition tells me it's a little bit too western taste to be 18thc or 19thc ...my best guess is that it was probably produced in the early 20thc, but just a guess I'm afraid.

It's a beauty though.

Daniel G likes this.
  16. Daniel G

Auction just ended. I felt comfortable paying $140 to get it.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  17. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

I highly doubt with the sotheby's tag. I suggest to call them to ID this tag. The tray itself looks after 1900 especially after 1950 to me.

blooey, KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Daniel G

Just got the plate. It looks and feels like a cloisonne type rim to it.

8BE559FE-9C6E-428F-9B48-6B4243060548.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted