Enamel vase age/origin

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Digby86, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Digby86

Digby86 New Member

Hi all

This is my first post, so please say if I’m omitting anything pertinent!

We recently bought a small enamelled vase. I know nothing about vases, and just bought it because we liked it. But it’s piqued my interest to try and find out a little more about when and where it’s come from, and I was hoping you could help?

Pictures below (I hope!). It’s about 21cm tall, 12cm at its widest and 6-7cm opening. The pattern is quite detailed, in gold wire with a blue background and a bird and flowers pattern. It looks like some sections might have stone inlaid.

The lip is gold and the gold lines the opening (but not the whole interior of the vase). Around the top is the upside down clover pattern with a dot inside, in terracotta, black and white (which leads me to believe Chinese?). The bottom had a pattern of small semi-circles in terracotta.

it has a gold rim around the base, and I can see a line where that rim joins (shown in the photos).

the base is a kind of teal/mid blue colour and quite pitted. I can’t see any maker’s or origin mark anywhere.

there are some signs of wear/age, which I’ve tried to capture in the photos. Some slight fading and a few tiny pits/pockmarks.

Any thoughts would be very grateful received. Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Digby!

Welcome to Antiquers.........

If you still have an edit button, please go back and choose full image on your photos. (easier to see)

My belief you vase is cloisonne from China.

But wait for others to yay or nay.

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Welcome Digby:)

@judy,:joyful: YAY for me, cloisonné from China, not very old IMHO.

Bakersgma, Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Kyra!

I can't even guess the age. I'm familiar with the blue base on the older ones, and they are usually marked China, but I don't know how/if the newer ones are marked.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Digby.
    The others have already given you an id. Your photos are tiny, so it is difficult to get a good view of the surface, but my guess without that information is mid 20th century.
    The recent ones also have a blue base.:)

judy, kyratango and Bakersgma like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome Digby. Great first post. Thorough analysis and thinking. You will do well here. Regarding the lack of mark - I have seen many of these with a label stamped "China" that can be easily washed off.

judy and kyratango like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

X3218310-f8c28ba2e56257c5c485e3c93991c2a9-edit.jpg X3218311-3597f1b922ceb0574c582a017a5a3919-edit.jpg
    X3218312-ec3ddee75c699867c1f843d5d44ccffb-edit.jpg X3218308-2a402e7b7534ea6e8bc91b46250e86fa-edit.jpg 45CB52AB-47D1-44DA-8FCE-0959D9CCD0ED.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    kyratango likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

upload_2019-12-7_9-5-55.png

I agree with Any Jewelry.
    Probably 1950ish.

9. Digby86

Digby86 New Member

Wow! Thanks so much for the helpful and speedy responses everyone! And thank you for enlarging the pictures - I had problems getting them under the size limit on my phone, and didn’t appreciate the would be too small to view properly

I had thought Chinese from what I’d read but then got confused as some of what I read suggested Japanese (eg “orange peel” type texture of base). Great to have you guys on hand to clarify.

thanks again :)

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Email them to yourself as Medium. Save and then post.

Draft saved Draft deleted