Featured Enameled Flower and Sparkly Glass Costume Necklace - Maker and Age

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Sep 21, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I waited an half and hour in line to get an opportunity to buy this enameled flower and costume gem necklace, because it sparkled at me from the resale shop's window. I think it is higher end costume jewelry, because each flower has a gold edge and middle. The facets of the fake gems have prongs to hold them in place and are also highly reflective.
    At the end, there are five photos of where I thought I saw a mark. The first photo of the five (a side of the tear drop) seems to have something written on it, but this may be my imagination. The style makes me think it is not a new piece. It is 15 inches long and 3/4 inch wide. I hope my time here has resulted in me finding better pieces amongst the dross. This is a test of what I have learned and will look pretty against one of my turtle neck sweaters. Any thoughts appreciated.
    IMG_6934.jpg IMG_6937.jpg IMG_6961.jpg IMG_6962.jpg IMG_6965.jpg IMG_6967.jpg IMG_6939.jpg IMG_6959.JPG IMG_6953.JPG IMG_6948.JPG

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    KSW, Bronwen, Lucille.b and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Both Coro and Vendome used a similar bullet-shaped dangle in the course of their production. Your very pretty necklace is reminiscent of 1950's Coro pieces.

KSW, patd8643, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

That would be sensational if it was! Thank you. So the right words are bullet-shaped dangle.

KSW, Bronwen and Sandra like this.
  4. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say that "bullet shape" is the correct name, it's just my way of describing it.
    There is a very helpful Google site sponsored by Flipping Treasures, called Identified Jewelry Dangles. There are 100's of these dangles identified as to manufacturer, very useful to have bookmarked if dealing in costume jewelry.

KSW, Bronwen, Lucille.b and 1 other person like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

I don't have much experience buying jewelry, so I am always looking for the right way to describe something here. I very much appreciate the name of the place to look for dangles. Thank you.

Bronwen and Sandra like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Agree that this is definitely a cut above as far as costume, and agree that Coro and Vendome come to mind. Gorgeous.

I have a little concern that a length of chain might be missing on the the left side. Won't impact wearing it if it fits as is, and if it is the case, if you ever wanted to add it, would be an easy fix.

I'm used to seeing the chain on both sides, kind of like this Coro enamel flower with AB rhinestone necklace:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/darling-vintage-coro-sgnd-ab-1738066848

Edit: If your hook is a replacement, could have been the original hook was stamped "Coro".

KSW, patd8643, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Wow. That is very similar to my piece! :) Even the dangle is the same. The only difference seems to be the color of the flowers. I see what you mean about the length. It is very tight around the neck not allowing all of the necklace to show. That was why I was thinking turtle neck to display it. You are terrific! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KSW, Lucille.b, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Now that you mention it, the hook is thinner than the chain links. What a shame that the identity was lost.

kyratango, KSW, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ciro did those too. I do agree it's got chain missing, but that's not a huge issue.

kyratango, KSW, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

So is there any way to tell the difference? Would they have been also doing these in the 50's?

kyratango, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Yes, they absolutely did. There's often an embossed marking under the gild. I've seen unmarked ones too.

kyratango, KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

I’ll have to search more then to see if I can find something. As always I am grateful that you are willing to share your knowledge and wisdom with me.

kyratango and KSW like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Any time, honey! The marks can be very tricky to find.

kyratango, KSW and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Maybe keep your eyes open for a broken Coro necklace with the same piece of missing chain so you could find something to match?
    It’s so pretty and really catches the light.

KikoBlueEyes and kyratango like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

I may have a bit....

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

I've been looking and haven't found anything. Thanks for liking it. I learned a lot from your posts about what to look for. :kiss:

17. KikoBlueEyes

That would be wonderful. I'll PM you.

18. Ownedbybear

I'll have a hunt. I did get rid of some broken bits, which is annoying. Sods law!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

If you can't find it, no problem. I will continue to search.

Draft saved Draft deleted