Enamelled earrings and turquoise necklace, please help identify

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hello beautiful people,
    I wonder if the below items bring any bells. I bought them over a year ago as mixed silver, but I can say the earrings metal is yellow and it is not silver, I did not test for gold. Is there any possibility that could be gold considering the design?
    The turquoise necklace is silver, and I am quite sure that the turquoise is set in quite literally mud.
    I am now thinking to sell them as I never worn them.
    Questions
    Can anyone identify the design of the earrings and how old they are? Also where from would be nice to know.
    I think @Any Jewelry would love to see this necklace. I wonder where is it from and how old? Is it really mud that the turquoise are set in?
    Thank you all.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    @Bronwen @PepperAnna @Fid @KSW @MaJa @Ownedbybear A0D51552-A8C5-4BED-8833-8ED4E608FFEE.jpeg
    9160DF7E-AAD6-416B-AFB9-33FA29B5A130.jpeg 9CC62FEC-7829-4CF0-B4F6-AA0123C3FF4B.jpeg 23FE89C6-A2AF-42EF-9727-58C1A8C70E86.jpeg BAD078F1-AA00-40DF-B7FD-3C6372469B97.jpeg

KSW likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

50s enamel on the earrings. The necklaces could be anything from the 70s on up; they still make those beads.

Simona Buhus and KSW like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They're turquoise chips. They actually go back to at least the 60s, Ma bought some then. That's a nicer necklace than some, looks sixties into 70s.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

Nice pieces. Unusual to find a pair of earrings finished on both sides. It is always possible they are gold, color is hard to make out with your darker photographs. I would expect them to be marked though they could be custom - which are usually signed as well. Given the rudimentary (heavy) of the screw back, it would not shock me if these were early. I would look closely for marks and file out a bit on the screw back brace to test for gold if not marks are found. I am leaning 1940's but could be older but not much later. Good quality however. A lot of detail went into these for costume bits.

Love the necklace as well. As @Ownedbybear noted, the balls look to be polished rough turquoise caged in sterling. I am not familiar with the style, however when I see a barrel clasp with safety chain I think old. Again, I am not familiar with the design, but I would not put these as mid century, I would see them as 1920's or so.

Cheers

Figtree3 and Simona Buhus like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

The chips are set in a kind of black resin, then caged, either brass or low grade silver. Barrel with safety is fine for the sixties. I've quite a bit of this stuff.

The screw backs may be screw clips, I can't quite tell. I suspect brass and Indian again.

6. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your reply.
    The earrings are not clips, are screw backs. The detail is remarkable, and also think they are brass, as I did not pay gold price for them, more like silver price.

7. Ownedbybear

Some screws work as clips as well, if that makes sense. The screw tightens them. They do look Indian to me.

Figtree3 and George Chaney like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted