End Of 2020 - Hottest Antiques, Vintage, & Collectibles Categories

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Please join in and share what what you are seeing is currently in demand in the antiques, vintage, and collectibles marketplace currently. I'll throw out a few categories I've seen at strong prices and demand for at antique shops and auctions.

1. Advertising with good graphics, especially signage but also ephemera and tins. Oil and Gas is very strong.

2. Stoneware, especially with blue cobalt decoration. Crocks, jugs, etc.

3. Christmas and Halloween Items running the gambit from vintage blow molds to postcards and everything in between.

4. Pyrex. Our local antique malls are packed with it but I see buyers with carts full of it all the time.

5. Vintage Clothing. Maybe just me but see a lot of interest building in vintage clothing especially in millennial and younger demographics. Thrift stores are packed with these groups looking for something unique and higher quality.

Please add your thoughts and observations on what you are seeing and what is changing.

judy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Vintage clothing from what era? If I remember the old rule, it used to be a 30 year lag so there was interest in the 1940s in the 1970s, interest in the 1950s in the 1980s. That holding true in your opinion? Nostalgia for the 1990s?

Debora

3. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I think that explains some of it, perhaps not all of the demand I see. Overall I think it is being purchased to be worn generally.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What era of vintage clothes? Or do you just mean used clothes?

Debora

5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

80's thru 90's. Nascar, MLB, NFL, NBA, Band Shirts, some athletic wear brands, anything with great logos.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying.

Debora

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

silver & gold.........anything...

Aquitaine, judy and blooey like this.
  8. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

Vintage religious prints, tapestries ... the blond, blue-eyed baby Jesus with sheep or family, and the 'bleeding heart' variety. I am sorry I didn't collect paint-by-numbers and similar kitsch of this ilk.

judy likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

North American 1st Nations......the older the better......but vintage 1900's....and more recent good named artists are still popular..

judy likes this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Vintage and antique jewelry usually sells well and now cameos seem to be popular again :)

judy likes this.
  11. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I'm so glad to hear that at least SOME things are moving!
    Leslie

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  12. Northern Lights Lodge

Can anyone suggest which selling venues seem to be getting more sales for them?
    Leslie

judy likes this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I do well at antique shows and our local flea market from late spring through the middle of October. After that I usually do OK selling on ebay for a few months. This past fall/winter has been very good for me online.

All this works out for me because I live in a summertime vacation area, so summer is busy in person when ebay sales fall off. Then when the tourists stop coming in the fall ebay picks up.

There are quite a few multi-dealer shops here but all of them require a year's commitment. Since our tourist season is really only about 4 to 5 months it doesn't make sense for me to commit to a year.

judy, CheersDears and Joe2007 like this.
  14. Northern Lights Lodge

I'm in a 4 season resort area - but a dinky town. At one point we had 4+ antique shops... we have none now. Yes, Ebay always seemed to do well when my local booth was dragging; and vice versa. But... my closest antiques shops now are at least an hour in every direction.... I've no desire to vend a booth at this point. I'm no longer buying...
    Leslie

judy likes this.
  15. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I don't sell often. Used to do the odd market but am now stuck with Facebook local sales sites and eBay, where my success rate is dismal. We are on the outskirts of Sydney and I am told antique shops in trendy areas of the city and auction houses are doing well. There are very few vintage/antique outlets within coo-ee of my isolated little community, which is interested only at giveaway prices. I still buy a bit, in fact a bit too much. Someone has to :)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted