"End Of Day" vase expert opinion.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lena345, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Lena345

Lena345 Member

Hello,
    I have a questions about spatter glass vase I have. I found a lot similar pieces on web. Almost all of them are adwertised as Czechoslovakian Art Deco. There is a mark on he bottom, but it is unreadable. I tried tricks with white powder, but no result. The mark is long tectangle with rounded corners with unreadable letters inside. Most of the Art Deco vase are footed, mine is not, but shape looks vintage to me. The vase is 12" high and app. 5" mouth diameter. Can I list it as Art Deco Czechoslovakian or it might be modern Chinese or so . Your opinion is very appreciated. Thank you. end of day 1 small.jpg end of day3 small.jpg end of day 2 small.jpg end of day4 small.jpg

Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

My non-expert opinion - looks more likely Japanese or other asian than Czech - but again, I'm not an expert.

3. Lena345

Lena345 Member

Thanks aaroncab. What feature helped you to idntify it as Japanese?

4. aaroncab

I wish I could put my finger on one particular thing - but it just doesn't look "czech" (to me) - the base, the rim, the way the spatter colors look. Guess the overall shape would appear even more Scandinavian than anything - in my opinion - but the Japanese mimic'd a lot of different styles.

gregsglass likes this.
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Oh gosh, is that ever pretty!! I wouldn't call this end of day glass, which to me means slag glass. A little of one color, a little of another color.

The multi color treatment here is much more artistic. Also, this is cased glass. White on the inside, multi-color in the middle with cobalt and then topped off with clear glass. To me it looks like modern Italian or Chinese glass. BWDIK.

You can try searching cased glass or confetti glass. IMHO modern art glass is extremely hard to ID. I just buy it if it's gorgeous and has no visible signs of a hurried manufacturing process, like slumping, or not laying flat or any uneven-ness/not symmetrical.

Bakersgma and aaroncab like this.
  6. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Looks mainland Italy to me likely Empoli region

aaroncab likes this.
  7. Lena345

Lena345 Member

Thank you very much! It's too bad I can't read the mark. Will check Empoli glass.

8. aaroncab

The mark is not apparent in any of the pictures you posted - is it possible to get a closer up shot of just the mark?

9. Lena345

Lena345 Member

I tried on the mark again. This is the best I could get with corn sturch and PhotoShop. Maybe somebody can recognise the mark. mark photoshop1.jpg

aaroncab likes this.
  10. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The heavy crystal (around the outside of the base) does not remind me of Czech wares. I'd vote for Chinese of recent origin.

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think recent China too..

Draft saved Draft deleted