Featured End Table, Small Chest of drawers? Not sure of Era, or maker

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Terence Kimble, Aug 19, 2020.

1. I work at a Habitat for Humanity stores where we accept donations from all walks of life, including antiques a lot of times. This one has me stumped, no markings anywhere other than matching number pcs written in wax pencil underneath every drawer, the manufacture tag is missing from the back. Would like to get an idea of when it was made or who made it, and I am hoping someone on here knows. I am hoping to come to these forums when I am at a loss. I would say it's about 3ft tall, maybe 2-2 1/2 foot front to back and maybe 3 ft long. Very intricate laminating for the designs. Any and all help would be appreciated so we can get the best price out of it at our store. It does have brass accents and brass handles.

Attached Files:

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Terence!

Welcome to Antiquers!

Furniture people will need more photos starting with the construction of the drawers.

Please choose Full Image for larger photos when you next post.

@verybrad @Ghopper1924 to start.
    @James Conrad?

I forget ID of others at the moment.

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Welcome! Good thing you're doing! Until a furniture person comes along I can only give you search terms in case you haven't tried, bombe chest with ormalu.

Just made it bigger so easier to see.

upload_2020-8-19_16-19-31.png

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  4. Judy I do know the drawers are "fitted" together (for lack of a better term) Similar to a log home at the corners. We may put this piece on the back burner until I know what we have. We deal with a lot of people that come in, someone will know, but fail to tell us hoping to get a great deal to flip. I won't even put it out on the floor until I know its value and history.

Christmasjoy, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  5. When doing a google image search, I did see a lot of Bombe furniture that had a similar look. I'll try Ormalu now. Thank you!

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

When the members that I tagged find this post, they will reply to you and give their opinions.

Christmasjoy and Terence Kimble like this.
  7. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Those Louis XV style reproductions were REALLY popular around here 15-20 years ago and people still snatch them up at the estate sales. While we don't value pieces here, I will tell you that I sell similar ones in the $400-500 range depending on condition. ;) Keep in mind that geography plays a big part in prices.

8. say_it_slowly I did more looking online at your advice search. I am almost certain now it is a Bombe chest of drawers. I cannot find anything identical, but I really don't think I would. They all seem individually different with no 2 the same. the general price i am getting for something similar was auctioned for between 200 and almost 400.

9. Sassafras, that's about what I was finding online for prices. I am in Michigan, I know vintage cars in good rust free shape are gold here :) Is it the same for furniture in my region?

PortableTreasures and judy like this.
  10. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

I don't know about furniture prices in Michigan (I'm in GA), but rust free muscle cars are gold here too!

11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a bombe chest with the characteristic serpentine stiles, resulting drawer shapes, and ormolu appointments. Often loosely associated in the popular mind with 18th century Paris and Versailles. This is certainly a 20th century iteration of lesser quality than it's ancestors, yet it can still bring $200 in my part of the U.S.; perhaps more elsewhere.

12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I never tell thrift store people anything - why should charity places charge the same as a dealer who has spent a lifetime studying his craft? You get the stuff for free, you should blow it off for cheap too.
    You are supposed to be an institution that gives the less fortunate a chance to buy things at reasonable prices, not squeeze every item to the max to buy a new Porsche for your CEO.

13. Excuse me? We are not a thrift store. Everything we sell goes into our community, building houses for people that can't get a loan on their own. We do home repair for people that can't afford it in emergency needs. If someone comes in and their well just went out, chances are we will cover the cost. I may have just joined this group, but your comment is way out of line for where I work. We DON'T charge full blown price for anything. But we do try to get as much as possible to help our cause. We are not Goodwill (which does profit for one individual)

Daniel G, Tanya, cxgirl and 8 others like this.
  14. Ghopper, I cannot find a makers stamp or label anywhere as I said. Is there anywhere else I could look on the pc?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so we can get the best price out of it at our store.

Everyone wants the best value for their items.....no matter what they paid or didn't pay.........
    & best price in no way means ripping off anyone !!!

You got a problem with the business........don't take it out on a member who happens to work there..........he ain't the CEO !

16. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Apologies about the rudeness up above. While I'm not a fan of some thrift store pricing strategies while the CEOs pocket millions and where anything of value gets shipped off to be sold online -- it is unfair to take it out on anyone other than management -- and from what I see in my local community which has several ReStores, Habitat for Humanity does do good work in our neighborhoods.

As you probably know well the furniture market is very weak overall here in Ohio and I'm sure it is similar in Michigan. However on the upside this is a nice presentable piece that is in excellent condition and appears to be ready for use. If it can't be sold as a piece of furniture it would be a great piece to adapt into a bathroom vanity.

17. I understand, about pricing strategies ripping people off for monetary gain/greed. The well to do that donate their more expensive items do so because they know where it goes when we sell it. We have a very small crew at our store, most of us are within a decade of 60yrs old. We've been around the block a few times. Just to clarify, items that we sell for peoples renovations on their homes, we sell pretty cheap...ie windows, doors, toilets even the tools to do such things we let go very cheap. The employees do the pricing, no set guidelines, and we're all fair that way. I know a few of our customers that collect antiques for resale and they still come back because we set it at a price where a profit can still be made by them. Maybe I came across the wrong way. But, I personally am not greedy and actually cut prices for people if they are really in need or interested.
    That being said, thank you all for the info. I will try to find a makers mark or stamped year more tomorrow, because if someone asks about it, I like to be informed.

18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Habitat for Humanity AND the ReStore both do GOOD work around HERE!!!! Happy to donate to them when I can!!!

19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

@blooey , if you have an issue with Habitat for Humanity, you can put Terence on ignore. No need to do or say anything else imo.
    @Terence Kimble , there are many others here who are happy to help.

20. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I admit to be a little baffled myself. Why someone wants information is up to them to divulge though many just are out to enrich themselves or, frankly, to advertise. I think that trying to aid a non-profit would be more laudable than most other reasons if one had to evaluate intent.

Daniel G, Aquitaine, komokwa and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted