England 1800's scrapbook...any ideas? filled with art and poems

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by jorie9699, Jun 10, 2020.

1. jorie9699

jorie9699 New Member

I've done so much research, and I just can't seem to figure out who/where this book belonged to. After everything i seem to think it belonged to multiple people...or maybe print company that did litho's or etching I have no idea. A lot of hand drawn pictures, and hand drawn litho size pictures...Any information..idea's would be awesome. I've drove myself crazy trying to figure this book out. I've included the link to album they are all in..I took a picture of almost every single page..minus a few . Most every colored picture is hand drawn...With the exception of i believe the 2 colored type litho's that are small and square.
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/186539361@N08/018m8Q

moreotherstuff likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. i need help

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

A few have handwritten info (besides the notes) similar of the title and artist info in the plain bottom margin of an etching or print. Bigger, clearer pictures of the "notes" and the writing on any of the artwork is in order.

jorie9699, antidiem and i need help like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Isn't that interesting? Suspect it was owned by a young lady from Scotland who had studied art. Seems to have had admirers too. Would you be kind enough to post close-up straight-on photographs of the pages with text?

Debora

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I can't be of further help without good quality photographs but, as above, not England. Scotland.

Debora

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This looks suspiciously like Raphael:

[​IMG]

8. i need help

anundverkaufen and Bronwen like this.
  9. jorie9699

jorie9699 New Member

Thanks everyone..will get closer ups when I get home later.

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  10. i need help

jorie9699, antidiem and Debora like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's one of the contributions... from the Scottish Post Office Directory for 1850-1851. ("Arch" is for "Archibald," of course.)

"Ritchie, Arch, manager London and Edinb.
    Shipping Co. 5 Madeira place"

Debora

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

@jorie9699

Some of these appear to be student work, to my eye. Looks like not all were done by the same artist. Are they ALL original work? I ask, because some look like prints.

i need help likes this.
  13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

There is writing at the bottom of the next to last piece shown above, please show us ALL the writings.

i need help likes this.
  14. jorie9699

jorie9699 New Member

Both, most colored ones are all original work and not prints..with the exception of 2 smaller colored colored ??lithographs...

15. jorie9699

jorie9699 New Member

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I am going to suggest that you take one piece at a time and photograph it fully in close-up. No one should be expected to make sense of bits and pieces.

Debora

17. jorie9699

jorie9699 New Member

18. jorie9699

jorie9699 New Member

19. jorie9699

jorie9699 New Member

20. jorie9699

jorie9699 New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted