English Blue transferware porcelain tea bowl? Who? What? When? please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by *crs*, Nov 29, 2016.

1. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

This bowl measures 4 3/4"dia. x 2 5/8" high. I think it is a tea bowl? Trying to determine pattern name? maker? It has two different patterns. One on each side. Plus the pattern inside. Thanks for any help you can provide. Ugh, looks like I need to reshoot the last pic before I list this.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Blue Willow.

Peggy

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. *crs*

Yeah, me too Peggy with those 2 birds on it.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It had a gold rim once upon a time, now mostly long gone. That probably doesn't help much.

5. *crs*

This is true evelyb30 but I've sold transferware in a lot worse condition than this.

6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

True! As all know the Willow patterns are numerous. The closest I could find to this one with only 2 figures on the bridge rather than the usual 3 figures, with a 4 pillar pagoda rather than the normal 4 pillar pagoda, same birds, and a sailing vessel was on the following page. The writer says it is by Spode. Wellll, replacements and everywhere else I searched didn't show a Spode Willow pattern like this. The Spode "Willow" patterns I found were of the usual "Blue Willow" patterns with 3 figures, 3 pillars, different kind of boat, etc... Anyways, here's the page with a Willow pattern like on this cup.

Last viewable pic.
    http://viaspatterns.com/willow-pattern-crockery/

Says:
    "Spode willow pattern plate, about 1790: Blue Willow China. The pattern on the Blue Willow plates looks Chinese, but was first made in England."

IMG_2652.JPG

--- Susan

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. *crs*

Thanks Susan. that looks like it

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If it has England on it, it's too late in date to be a tea bowl. Possibly sugar.

lauragarnet and bluemoon like this.
  9. *crs*

Sugar bowl is then. Thank you.

lauragarnet likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

That sure looks like a match, but the tell will be in the border. I can't see what Susan has posted.
    upload_2016-11-29_17-57-16.png

lauragarnet likes this.
  11. *crs*

That's my border Pat. Spode Blue Willow works for me. Thanks again for everyone's assistance

lauragarnet likes this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

Deleted.
    Sorry, I realize now you are saying your border matches the Spode border.

lauragarnet likes this.
  13. *crs*

Pat, the border you showed is the Spode border or was it from another company? My border matches the one you show.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    lauragarnet likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@clutteredcloset49 ......the gold was on the SIDE of the bowl.......if that's what you couldn't see.....

15. clutteredcloset49

Hi Carl -
    No that snippet was from your tea cup. I was asking if it matched the Spode border on the plate that Susan showed. As that border was not visible completely.

Although center decals might be the same from one company to another. The difference often lies in the details of the border.

But you are confirming your tea cup matched the Spode border. Good!

@Aquitaine - Sorry, no I was not referring to the gold. Actual border design between Carl's tea cup and Susan's example.

Sorry, did not mean to make this a complicated query.

lauragarnet likes this.
  16. *crs*

LOL Pat, no wonder the border you showed matched mine :) I really can't see a lot of the border on the Spode plate but from what I can see it appears to be a match.

Draft saved Draft deleted